Feynman's High School Calculus Book

In summary, the conversation discusses an article about how physicist Richard Feynman learned calculus in high school by studying a book by Thompson. The participants also reflect on the abundance of resources available to students today and the importance of pursuing one's passions in STEM fields. They also recommend following links to Feynman interviews and express confidence in the continued relevance of applied physics.
Aufbauwerk 2045
Hi everybody. I enjoy looking at other people's handwritten notebooks, as well as what textbooks they learned math and physics from. This evening I came across this article about how Feynman learned calculus in high school by studying Calculus for the Practical Man by Thompson. He kept very detailed notes. I discovered Thompson's books on math some time ago and I thought they were all interesting, in particular the one on calculus. Enjoy the article.

http://physicstoday.scitation.org/do/10.1063/PT.5.9099/full/

Likes Asymptotic, smodak and Doc Al
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing. It’s a nice article on Feynman. One wonders with the access students have today to all things STEM of how they will be inspired or will the sheer volume of resources simply overwhelm them. Where is the next Feynman?

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
jedishrfu said:
Thanks for sharing. It’s a nice article on Feynman. One wonders with the access students have today to all things STEM of how they will be inspired or will the sheer volume of resources simply overwhelm them. Where is the next Feynman?

Indeed, sometimes we may have so many choices that we don't know what to do. I finally realized that as long as I'm in STEM, the main thing for me is to forget about what field is most lucrative and just focus on what I like the most. In any case, I can't do very well in a subject if my heart is not in it.

I also highly recommend following the links provided to the Feynman interviews which may be found at

https://www.aip.org/history-program...077.487000824.1511233896-165223326.1511233896

P.S. I'm not concerned about the "is physics dead" question because my favorite area, which is nuclear reactors, is not going anywhere! Perhaps some would say that's "only" applied physics but that doesn't worry me. :)

Related to Feynman's High School Calculus Book

1. What is "Feynman's High School Calculus Book"?

"Feynman's High School Calculus Book" is a calculus textbook written by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman. It is based on the lectures that Feynman gave to high school students while he was a professor at Caltech.

2. Is "Feynman's High School Calculus Book" suitable for high school students?

Yes, the book was specifically designed for high school students and assumes no previous knowledge of calculus. Feynman's clear and engaging writing style makes the complex subject easy to understand.

3. How is "Feynman's High School Calculus Book" different from other calculus textbooks?

This book is unique in that it presents calculus concepts in a more intuitive and conceptual way, rather than relying heavily on formulas and equations. Feynman also incorporates real-life examples and relatable analogies to make the material more engaging.

4. Can "Feynman's High School Calculus Book" be used as a standalone textbook?

While it is possible to use this book as a standalone textbook, it is recommended to be used in conjunction with a traditional calculus textbook. Feynman's book offers a different perspective and can be a helpful supplement to a standard curriculum.

5. Is "Feynman's High School Calculus Book" only for students interested in physics?

No, this book is suitable for any student interested in calculus, regardless of their future career plans. While Feynman does incorporate some physics concepts, the focus is primarily on calculus and its applications in various fields.