Feynman rules (vertecies) for graviton

In summary, references for deriving Feynman rules for gravitons can be found in papers on perturbative quantum gravity, string theory, and effective field theory. Some classic papers include Weinberg's computation of gravitational bremsstrahlung, 't Hooft's work on one-loop divergences, and Deser and van Nieuwenhuizen's study of non-renormalizability. Additionally, the zero mode solutions in large extra dimensions can be used for KK gravitons. The quantization of the Linearized Einstein field equations in the Lorentz Gauge can also provide insight into quantum gravity.
Neitrino
Hi,

Could u advise me please some references where the Feynman rules for graviton are derived I mean graviton-scalar graviton-graviton scattering ... in general graviton vertecies ...

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Such rules would come from a theory of quantum gravity, and we don't have such a (generally accepted) theory yet, as far as I know.

I formally agree with jtbell, in the following manner : we do not know whether there is a graviton out there, so we can not calculate its "true" Feynman rules. However, I think this is not a very helpful observation.

The graviton is a well defined concept in perturbative quantum general relativity, which although non renormalizable, offers perfectly good effective calculations at low to moderate energies. The results we obtain in the low energy effective theory will be the same as whatever correct UV complete theory would give, in the low energy of course. In this well defined theory, we can in principle calculate the Feynman rules as we please. In practice this is hard. However, we can use insights from even other approaches to quantum gravity, such a string theory, use their mathematical technics in a different physical context. This is done for instance in
Calculation of Graviton Scattering Amplitudes using String-Based Methods
MHV-Vertices for Gravity Amplitudes
Perturbative Gravity and Twistor Space

Note that, they is not easy reading. I would recommend to start with
Quantum Gravity in Everyday Life: General Relativity as an Effective Field Theory
Perturbative Quantum Gravity and its Relation to Gauge Theory

OK, I gladly stand corrected!

Thanks Gents ...

Some classic papers... might be helpful...

Weinberg's computation of `gravitational bremsstrahlung': should give you the lepton-graviton vertex. Excellently written, as ever...
Weinberg, S., Infrared Photons and Gravitons,
Phys. Rev., 1965, 140, B516

Graviton self-coupling, and graviton-scalar... including proofs that the former is renormalizable at one loop, the latter is not. This is why @humanino refers to treating gravity as an 'effective field theory'.
't Hooft, G., One-Loop Divergencies in the Theory of Gravitation,
Ann. Inst. Henri Poincare A, 1974, 20, 69-94

Graviton-lepton again, same conclusion...
Deser, S. & van Nieuwenhuizen, P., Nonrenormalizability of the quantized Dirac-Einstein system,
Phys. Rev. D, 1974, 10, 411-420

Cheers,

Dave

These were calculated for KK gravitons in large extra dimensions in arXiv:hep-ph/9811350 . For normal gravitons just use the zero mode solutions.

A frankly adorable exercise is to quantized the Linearized Einstein field equations in the Lorentz Gauge.

[tex]\mathbf{\Box} g_{\alpha\beta}=0[/tex]

This actually provides some insight into quantum gravity, just as the low energy limit quantization does.

Related to Feynman rules (vertecies) for graviton

1. What are Feynman rules for graviton?

Feynman rules for graviton are mathematical rules that describe how to calculate the scattering amplitudes of gravitons in a quantum field theory.

2. How are Feynman rules for graviton derived?

Feynman rules for graviton are derived from the Feynman diagram technique, which involves using graphical representations to calculate the scattering amplitudes of particles.

3. What is a vertex in Feynman rules for graviton?

A vertex in Feynman rules for graviton represents an interaction between two gravitons, and is depicted as a point where two lines representing the gravitons meet in a Feynman diagram.

4. How do Feynman rules for graviton help in understanding gravity?

Feynman rules for graviton provide a mathematical framework for understanding how gravitons interact with each other and with other particles in a quantum field theory. This can help in understanding the behavior of gravity at a microscopic level.

5. Can Feynman rules for graviton be applied to all theories of gravity?

Feynman rules for graviton are based on the principles of quantum field theory and can be used in any theory of gravity that is compatible with these principles. However, they may need to be modified for certain theories, such as theories with extra dimensions or non-local interactions.