Why is the speed of photons different?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of different speeds of photons, specifically in regards to the colors red and blue. The idea of diffraction coefficients affecting the speed of light in different mediums is also mentioned. A Wikipedia article on dispersion is provided as a reference for further reading.
GREENMONKEY
TL;DR Summary
I read the Feynman's book about the quantum electrodynamics and I realized, that he was talking about the different speed of photons - please why are photons travelling at different speed, the blue photons are faster that the red ones, for instance?
Hi,

I read the Feynman's book about the quantum electrodynamics and I realized, that he was talking about the different speed of photons. I know, that the light travel's "slower" in a material, but he is also talking about the different speed of photons. I read on the web, that some photons travel's faster than the ther ones because of different energy, but WHY? Please give me some deep answer - deep like Feynman's book, no less.

Physics news on Phys.org
GREENMONKEY said:
please why are photons traveling at different speed, the blue photons are faster that the red ones, for instance?
I think you must have misunderstood something. "red" and "blue" are just different frequencies in the EM spectrum and they all travel at the same speed, c (in a vacuum).

Last edited:
This is why the speed of light you have read about is measured in vacuum(c).
In other mediums, due to different diffraction coefficients certain wavelengths are affected differently.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
GREENMONKEY said:
I read on the web

Where? Please give a reference.

1. Why do photons travel at the speed of light?

Photons are massless particles that carry electromagnetic energy. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe. Since photons are made up of electromagnetic energy, they are bound by this universal speed limit and therefore travel at the speed of light.

2. Is the speed of photons constant?

Yes, the speed of photons is constant in a vacuum. This is known as the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This speed is the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference, meaning it does not change based on the observer's position or velocity.

3. How does the speed of photons compare to other particles?

The speed of photons is significantly faster than other particles in the universe, including subatomic particles such as electrons and protons. This is because photons have no mass, and therefore are not subject to the same limitations as particles with mass. In fact, photons are the only particles that can travel at the speed of light.

4. Can the speed of photons be altered?

No, the speed of photons cannot be altered. As mentioned before, the speed of light is the universal speed limit, and photons are bound by this limit. This means that no matter how much energy is put into a photon, it will always travel at the speed of light.

5. Why is the speed of photons important in physics?

The speed of photons is important in physics because it is a fundamental constant that plays a crucial role in many theories and equations, such as Einstein's theory of relativity and Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism. It also has practical applications in fields such as telecommunications and astronomy, where the speed of light is used to measure distances and time intervals in the vastness of space.