Feynman Lectures Volume 3 Equation 9.41

In summary, Equation 9.41, also known as the "Master Equation," is a crucial equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It is related to the concept of quantum superposition and can be applied to all types of quantum systems. However, it has limitations and is mainly used in non-relativistic and isolated systems. Despite this, it has various real-world applications in fields such as quantum computing, materials science, and biology.
vappole
I don't understand how the last equation in the attached picture is derived from equations 9.40 and 9.39, can anyone help?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Do the substitution as described and use the fact that ##\mu\epsilon## is small compared with ##A##.
The last equation is for the LHS only of eq.9.39 ... where ##C_I## is given in the first equation in 9.40.

Last edited:
Oh, I got it. Tx

No worries - the RHS in the last equ. looks a lot like the RHS in equ.9.39 so I expect that's what threw you. I suspect that Feynman exploits the similarity on the next page.

Related to Feynman Lectures Volume 3 Equation 9.41

1. What is the significance of Equation 9.41 in the Feynman Lectures Volume 3?

Equation 9.41, also known as the "Master Equation," is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It is derived from the Schrödinger equation and is widely used in various fields of physics, including atomic and molecular physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum field theory.

2. How is Equation 9.41 related to the concept of quantum superposition?

Equation 9.41 plays a crucial role in understanding the concept of quantum superposition, where a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. The equation mathematically describes how the probability amplitudes of different states change over time, allowing us to predict the behavior of a quantum system.

3. Can Equation 9.41 be applied to all types of quantum systems?

Yes, Equation 9.41 is a universal equation in quantum mechanics and can be applied to all types of quantum systems, regardless of their size or complexity. It is a fundamental tool for understanding the behavior of particles at both the microscopic and macroscopic levels.

4. What are the limitations of using Equation 9.41 in quantum mechanics?

While Equation 9.41 is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it has its limitations. It only applies to non-relativistic systems, meaning it cannot be used to describe particles moving at speeds close to the speed of light. Additionally, it assumes that the quantum system is isolated and does not interact with its surroundings.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Equation 9.41?

Yes, Equation 9.41 has numerous real-world applications, including in the development of quantum computing and quantum information technologies. It is also used in the study of quantum systems in materials science, chemistry, and biology, leading to advancements in fields such as drug design and nanotechnology.