Ferris wheel Rotational Kinematics Question

In summary, the problem involves a decelerating Ferris wheel with a radius of 9.0 m and a constant rate of rotation of one revolution every 37 s. The passenger is at the top of the wheel when it begins to decelerate at a rate of 0.22 rad/s^2. The task is to find the magnitude and direction of the passenger's acceleration at that time using the formulas a_c = r*w^2 and a_t = r*alpha. However, using the formula a = sqrt(a_c^2 + a_t^2) gives a different answer. The correct approach is to use a = sqrt(a_c^2 + a_t^2) with a_c = r*w^
fleabass123

Homework Statement

The given information is:
A Ferris wheel with a radius of 9.0 m rotates at a constant rate, completing one revolution every 37 s.
Suppose the Ferris wheel begins to decelerate at the rate of 0.22 rad/s^2 when the passenger is at the top of the wheel.

(1) Find the magnitude of the passenger's acceleration at that time.
(2) Find the direction of the passenger's acceleration at that time.

Homework Equations

a_c=r*w^2
a_t=r*alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the acceleration at the top using those formulas and couldn't get it. I thought I should try total acceleration using a= sqrt(a_c^2+a_t^2) and got 0.260 m/s, but that was no good either. Honestly what is really confusing me is what exactly I'm finding; I've calculated several types of acceleration during this homework so I'm not sure what just the "passenger's acceleration" is. Because of part two I'm guessing I need to incorporate vectors somehow, but I can't figure out what approach to take.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
fleabass123 said:
I thought I should try total acceleration using a= sqrt(a_c^2+a_t^2)
That's correct.
and got 0.260 m/s, but that was no good either.
Show your calculations for a_c and a_t.

I did:

a= sqrt(a_c^2+a_t^2)

a_c^2=r*w^2=9*.169815819^2=.259536711

(I calculated w by doing 2pi/37seconds)

a_t^2=r*theta=9*(-.22)^2=.4356

(I used the given deceleration as theta, but I'm not sure if that works)

so a= sqrt((.259536711^2)+(.4356^2))= .507

As you can see I got a different answer on this new attempt. I suppose I'll try that, but I'm still not confident my decision to use -.22 as my acceleration works.

fleabass123 said:
a_t^2=r*theta=9*(-.22)^2=.4356
I assume you meant this to be a_t, not a_t^2. Why did you square the angular acceleration? (Angular acceleration is usually represented by alpha, not theta.)

Yes, I meant alpha. And I squared it because I was accidentally looking at the formula for centripetal acceleration when I was writing the tangential acceleration formula. Is that squared term the root of my problems?

fleabass123 said:
Is that squared term the root of my problems?
Yes, it looks like the main problem in that last attempt.

That was right! Thanks so much. If you wouldn't mind I still can't get part two. I know that a_c and a_t are perpendicular to each other, so I was thinking I should use trigonometry to find the direction of acceleration. I tried arctan(a_c/a_t), but that was no good.

fleabass123 said:
I tried arctan(a_c/a_t), but that was no good.
That would work just fine, but you need to know how they want you to describe the direction. With respect to the vertical or the horizontal? (The angle that you calculated is with respect to what?)

"_____degrees below the direction of motion" is what the field looks like. I thought my trig function would work in that situation.

fleabass123 said:
"_____degrees below the direction of motion" is what the field looks like. I thought my trig function would work in that situation.
Yes, it should work. Show the details. What did you put for a_c, a_t, and theta?

I did "arctan theta=.259536711/1.98" and I got 7.47 for theta.

180-arctan(a_c/a_t) might give you your answers.

fleabass123 said:
I did "arctan theta=.259536711/1.98" and I got 7.47 for theta.
Looks good, but what's the direction of motion? Remember that the acceleration is negative.

perrytones said:
180-arctan(a_c/a_t) might give you your answers.
:wink:

That was right! Thank you both very much. I really appreciate it! :D

Related to Ferris wheel Rotational Kinematics Question

What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating around an axis. It involves analyzing factors such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and rotational displacement.

How does a Ferris wheel demonstrate rotational kinematics?

A Ferris wheel is a perfect example of rotational kinematics, as it involves the motion of objects (the seats) rotating around an axis (the center of the wheel). This motion can be analyzed using the principles of rotational kinematics.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

How does the radius of a Ferris wheel affect its angular velocity?

The radius of a Ferris wheel does not affect its angular velocity, as long as the wheel is rotating at a constant speed. However, if the speed of the wheel changes, the angular velocity will also change in accordance with the equation ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the wheel.

What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis, while linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s), while linear velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).