Fermat's Theorem: Did Fermat Have a Proof?

In summary: K_yU3DvzrMU&t=1s Considering the monumental giants who tackled the problem during the centuries it remained unresolved, I tend to think that if a more elementary proof of the theorem existed, it very likely would have been found. :DDefinitely agree he did not have a proof that would hold up. I would be very curious to see what it was though.
Fermat1
In your opinion did Fermat have a proof for his theorem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey, if Fermat doesn't know!

My opinion (and it is only an opinion) is that what happened is what happens to all of us. Fermat thought that he had a simple proof, wrote a quick note to that effect, then went to bed. And discovered when he tried to carry out the proof, that he it did not work. That is supported by the fact that after he wrote that, he published proofs of the theorem for the cases n= 3 and 5. He wouldn't have done that if he had a proof for all n.

HallsofIvy said:
Hey, if Fermat doesn't know!

My opinion (and it is only an opinion) is that what happened is what happens to all of us. Fermat thought that he had a simple proof, wrote a quick note to that effect, then went to bed. And discovered when he tried to carry out the proof, that he it did not work. That is supported by the fact that after he wrote that, he published proofs of the theorem for the cases n= 3 and 5. He wouldn't have done that if he had a proof for all n.

I share your opinion on this. :D

To my mind it doesn't really make sense that this kind of problem doesn't have a more elementary (less artificial I mean) solution. Having said that, if Fermat had a proof, he would have written it

Fermat said:
To my mind it doesn't really make sense that this kind of problem doesn't have a more elementary (less artificial I mean) solution. Having said that, if Fermat had a proof, he would have written it

Considering the monumental giants who tackled the problem during the centuries it remained unresolved, I tend to think that if a more elementary proof of the theorem existed, it very likely would have been found. :D

Definitely agree he did not have a proof that would hold up. I would be very curious to see what it was though.

There was an even better video on the subject I saw once, but this one is also interesting.

1. What is Fermat's Theorem?

Fermat's Theorem, also known as Fermat's Last Theorem, is a famous mathematical conjecture proposed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat. The theorem states that no three positive integers a, b, and c satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2.

2. Did Fermat have a proof for his theorem?

It is believed that Fermat had a proof for his theorem, as he wrote in a margin note in his copy of Arithmetica by Diophantus that he had a proof that was too long to fit in the margin. However, this proof has never been found and it is possible that Fermat made a mistake in his reasoning.

3. Why is Fermat's Theorem significant?

Fermat's Theorem is significant because it remained unproven for over 350 years, despite many mathematicians attempting to prove it. It was finally proven in 1994 by British mathematician Andrew Wiles, with the help of modern mathematical techniques.

4. Can you explain the proof for Fermat's Theorem?

The proof for Fermat's Theorem is quite complex and involves several different mathematical fields, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and modular forms. In simple terms, Wiles' proof relies on the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture, which states that every elliptic curve can be described by a modular form.

5. How has Fermat's Theorem impacted mathematics?

Fermat's Theorem has had a significant impact on mathematics, as its proof required the development of new mathematical techniques and theories. It also opened up new areas of research and has advanced our understanding of number theory and other mathematical fields. Additionally, it serves as a reminder of the importance of rigorous proof in mathematics.