Feasibility of groups as union of subgroups.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from Abstract Algebra by Hernstein regarding the possibility of expressing a group as the union of two proper subgroups. It is concluded that this is not possible, but it is possible to express a group as the union of three subgroups. The conversation also touches on the idea of considering different cases and the importance of understanding group theory.
seshikanth

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve a question from Abstract Algebra by Hernstein.
Can anyone give me hint regarding the following:
Show that a group can not be written as union of 2 (proper) subgroups although it is possible to express it as union of 3 subgroups?

Thanks,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the union of 2 subgroups is a group only when one is contained in another or viceversa.

Physics news on Phys.org
say you have G with proper subgroups A & B

consider some cases
case 1 - say A is contained in B
________but A & B are both proper

case 2 - say A & B are disjoint
________now consider the multiplication ab

case 3 - say A & B have elements in common other than e
________consider the set of elements they share

those cases should cover the range possibilities

Last edited:
If G is the union of two proper subgroups A and B then there is an element a of A that is not in B, and an element b of B that's not in A, right? I think that's the only case you need to consider. For the three subgroup case, just try and think of an example.

trivial, but what if A is a subgroup of B?

lanedance said:
trivial, but what if A is a subgroup of B?

If B is proper in G and A is a subgroup of B, then the union of A and B is B. Not G.

yeah i suppose its really obvious, and the idea you give covers both 2 & 3

as always, well played sir ;)

lanedance said:
yeah i suppose its really obvious, and the idea you give covers both 2 & 3

That's the idea. If I were reading a students solution to this problem I'd be interested in the 'group theory' part. The case splitting would just annoy me.

Related to Feasibility of groups as union of subgroups.

1. What is the definition of a group?

A group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to form a third element, satisfying the group axioms of closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. How are subgroups defined within a group?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also satisfies the group axioms. This means that the subgroup is closed under the group operation, contains the identity element, and every element in the subgroup has an inverse within the subgroup.

3. What is the feasibility of a group being a union of subgroups?

A group can be considered a union of subgroups if and only if all the elements in the group are contained within the subgroups and the subgroups together satisfy the group axioms. This is a feasible concept, but not all groups can be expressed as a union of subgroups.

4. How do we determine if a group is a union of subgroups?

To determine if a group is a union of subgroups, we can look at the structure of the group and identify any subgroups that exist within it. Then, we can check if the subgroups together satisfy the group axioms. If they do, then the group can be considered a union of subgroups.

5. What are the benefits of expressing a group as a union of subgroups?

Expressing a group as a union of subgroups can provide a clearer understanding of the structure of the group and can make certain operations and proofs easier. It can also help in identifying important subgroups within the group and their properties.