FBI Investigating Potential Fraud by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman, AIG

In summary, two law enforcement officials have stated that the FBI is investigating possible fraud by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers, and AIG. The conversation also mentions the hope that more entities, such as Countrywide, will also be investigated. Some individuals feel that this investigation is long overdue.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Two law enforcement officials said the FBI is looking at potential fraud by mortgage finance giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., and insurer American International Group Inc.[continued]
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,426783,00.html

Here we go! Call out the posse git yer hangin ropes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,426783,00.html

Here we go! Call out the posse git yer hangin ropes.

They won't be chapping my butt any if they put a few of those guys away?

I'd like them to go after Mazillo at Countrywide too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DHS and FBI are supposed to be guarding against home grown entities that may damage the economy. I think they just found them... about three years too late.

edward said:
The DHS and FBI are supposed to be guarding against home grown entities that may damage the economy. I think they just found them... about three years too late.

Looks to me like 8 years too late.

8 years less 4 months that is.

Related to FBI Investigating Potential Fraud by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman, AIG

1. What is the FBI investigating regarding Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman, and AIG?

The FBI is investigating potential fraud or illegal activities within these financial institutions, particularly in relation to the 2008 financial crisis.

2. Why is the FBI investigating these specific companies?

Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman, and AIG were all heavily involved in the housing market and financial industry during the time of the 2008 crisis. Their actions and practices may have contributed to the overall collapse of the economy.

3. What types of fraud or illegal activities are being investigated?

The FBI is looking into possible fraud in the form of misrepresentation of financial records, insider trading, and other deceptive practices that may have misled investors and the public.

4. What are the potential consequences for those involved in the investigation?

If found guilty, individuals or companies involved in fraudulent activities could face fines, imprisonment, or other legal repercussions. The companies themselves may also face penalties and changes to their operations.

5. How long has the FBI been investigating these companies?

The FBI has been investigating potential fraud and illegal activities within these companies since the 2008 financial crisis. However, the investigation is ongoing and may continue for some time as new evidence and leads are discovered.

Back