FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member

In summary, when solving for the torque at one end of a member with a 15 degree angle from the horizontal, it is important to consider the distance of the applied torque from the equilibrium point. The torque should be multiplied by its distance in the equilibrium equation to ensure balance with the load.
Fyrefly

Homework Statement

I have a member that is at a 15 degree angle from the horizontal. I have a purely vertical load acting halfway along it, and an applied torque at one end. I am solving for the torque at the other end.

Homework Equations

Equilibrium equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is this: Because I am working in a non-angled reference frame, I have naturally used Lcos(15)*vertical load in my moment equilibrium equation. But how do I account for the applied torque? I don't think it needs to be multiplied by cos(15) as torques in an equilibrium equation are independent of their distance from the equilibrium point, but I would like to verify this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to always consider all the variables and factors involved in a problem. In this case, the load and torque are acting at different points along the member, so it is important to account for their distances from the equilibrium point. The torque should be multiplied by its distance from the equilibrium point, just like the load is multiplied by its distance. This will ensure that both the load and torque are balanced in the equilibrium equation. Therefore, the correct equation would be Lcos(15)*vertical load + torque*distance from equilibrium point = 0. I hope this helps clarify your question.

Related to FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member

What is FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member?

FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member refers to the process of creating a free body diagram (FBD) to analyze the forces and torques acting on a member that is at an angle.

Why is it important to use FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member?

Using FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member allows for a clearer understanding of the forces and torques acting on a member, which is essential for accurate analysis and design of structures.

How do you create a FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member?

To create a FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member, you need to identify all the forces and torques acting on the member, including its weight and any applied loads. Then, you can draw a diagram showing the member and all the forces and torques acting on it.

What factors can affect the accuracy of FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member?

The accuracy of FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member can be affected by factors such as the assumptions made in the analysis, the accuracy of the applied loads, and the precision of the measurements.

How can FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member be used in real-life applications?

FBD with Applied Torques in Angled Member is commonly used in structural engineering to analyze and design structures such as bridges, buildings, and machines. It can also be used in other fields such as physics and mechanics to study the forces and torques acting on objects at an angle.