Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books

In summary, Kip Thorne's "Black Holes and Time Warps" is a delightful read for anyone learning about physics, and it always takes me back to when I was a high school student. Sagan's "Six easy pieces" is a great book for anyone interested in math, and Lee Smolin's "The Trouble with Physics" is a great read for anyone interested in the philosophical implications of modern physics.
TestTubeGames
I'm sure many of us have books like these. Maybe they are textbooks, maybe pop-sci books, but often something in between. And whatever they are, they're so good that we don't just read them for reference.

This evening I once again pulled Kip Thorne's "Black Holes and Time Warps" off the shelf and reread the first couple chapters. I just find it a delightful read, and it always takes me back to when I was a high school student just starting to learn about physics.

I realized I have a handful of books like this, but I bet there are many gems out there I haven't come across. So I thought I'd list my favorites, and see what others have dogeared over the years, too!

Mine:

-Black Holes and Time Warps
-Flatland (I'd heard it summarized so many times, I almost didn't read the book... but I'm glad I did!)
-Mr. Tompkins
-Physics for Entertainment, by Yakov Perelman (I've never seen a better and more wonderfully Russian collection of puzzles and musings)

How about you?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman" -Feynman
"Demon Haunted World" -Sagan
"Six easy pieces" -Feynman (this one has math though, but it's still casual)

+1 for 'Surely You're Joking..'. I hadn't read through a book that quick since middle school.

The Trouble with Physics - Lee Smolin
The Fabric of the Cosmos - Brian Greene
Physics of the Impossible - Michio Kaku

I find first-year physics texts interesting enough to read for fun though

Goodness, how could I have left Feynman out of my list!

+1 to him as well from me

And I've really enjoyed Cosmos (the TV series) but never read any of Sagan's books. I'll have to check that one out - read of course in the Sagan voice in my head.

Not a "read with tea", but quite easy going, are the Feynman Lectures on Physics

Alpha Floor said:
Not a "read with tea", but quite easy going, are the Feynman Lectures on Physics

Strong black coffee needed...

Related to Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books

What are the top 5 recommended "Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books" for beginners?

The top 5 recommended "Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books" for beginners are:

1. "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking
  2. "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene
  3. "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman
  4. "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan
  5. "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene

Are there any "Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books" specifically for non-scientists?

Yes, there are several "Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books" that are written specifically for non-scientists. Some examples include "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav and "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne.

What makes a "Favorite read-with-tea Physics Book" a good choice for relaxation?

A good "Favorite read-with-tea Physics Book" for relaxation should be written in a clear and engaging manner, with interesting and relatable examples. It should also be able to explain complex concepts in a way that is easy to understand, without being overly technical or dense.

Are there any "Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books" that cover both classical and modern physics?

Yes, there are several "Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books" that cover both classical and modern physics. Some examples include "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking.

Can "Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books" be used as a supplement to formal education?

Yes, "Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books" can be a great supplement to formal education in physics. They can provide a different perspective and approach to understanding complex concepts, and can also serve as a source of inspiration and motivation for further learning.