I have got a problem here:I was given this:A 125W heater and

• Thread starter garytse86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heater
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 125W heater and a thermometer in 0.6kg of oil. The temperature and time data collected from the experiment is provided and the question is how to determine the starting time of the heating process. There is some confusion about the meaning of "started heating" and whether there is enough information given. One possible solution is to use an energy balance equation to plot a straight line and find the intercept at T=0. The possibility of negative time and the feasibility of a temperature of zero kelvin are also mentioned.
garytse86
I have got a problem here:

I was given this:

A 125W heater and a thermometer are immersed in 0.6kg of oil in a vessel of negligible heat capacity. The following results were obtained.

Temperature (K) 294 302 313 324 334
Time (minutes) 2 4 6 8 10

How would you find the time at which heating started?

would it be the x value when y = 0, but x (time) would be negative.

Can someone help? Thank you.

Gary

Science news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "started heating"? You would need to know an inital temperature. Without that the question is pretty meaningless.

the information I posted above is all the information I have on the question...

The only interpetation of that problem that makes any sense is that the heaters were turned on at t=0. Thus heating started at t=0

I don't believe there is enough info given.
Most likely it is a typo and the requirement is actually the starting temperature.
In this case a way to do it would be:

An energy balance on the oil,

m.Cp.[T - T0] = q.t

(assuming heating starts at t=0)

So,

T(t) = (q/m/Cp)t + T0

Take the data & plot. Should be straight line of intercept T0.

p.s. There's nothing wrong with time being negative, it's all relative to where zero is defined.
However a temperature of zero kelvin is highly unlikely, i.e. your oil would probably be a frozen rock.

What is the wattage of the given heater?

The wattage of the heater is 125W.

What type of heater is it?

The type of heater is not specified in the given information. It could be a space heater, immersion heater, or any other type that uses 125W of power.

What is the problem with the heater?

The given statement does not mention any specific problem with the heater. It could be malfunctioning, not heating up properly, or any other issue.

What is the voltage of the heater?

The voltage of the heater is not mentioned in the given information. It could vary depending on the type of heater and the power source it is connected to.

What is the recommended usage for this heater?

The recommended usage for this heater may vary depending on the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to follow the guidelines provided by the manufacturer for safe and efficient use of the heater.