Farewell Ian Holm - LOTR, Sci-Fi Icon

• Thread starter PeroK
  • Start date
In summary, Ian Holm, a highly accomplished actor, has passed away. He was known for his roles in Lord of the Rings and other sci-fi films, but also had an impressive career as a Shakespearean actor and narrator. His death is a great loss to the film industry and he will be remembered for his brilliant performances.
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
I've just seen the sad news that Ian Holm has died. He did a huge amount during his career, although I guess he'll best be remembered by the LOTR and Sci-fi followers.

• Sad
Likes StatGuy2000, Astronuc and mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
Whether they sell his chattels right now?

He has an impressive list on IMDB:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000453/

I guess Bilbo overshadows his huge accomplishments as Shakespeare actor and narrator.

Likes Astronuc and PeroK
Ian Holm was a highly accomplished actor who has impressed in many different films. In addition to the LOTR trilogy, I recall his brilliant performance in the Atom Egoyan film The Sweet Hereafter, based on the Russell Banks novel of the same name.

He will be greatly missed. RIP.

Related to Farewell Ian Holm - LOTR, Sci-Fi Icon

1. Who was Ian Holm?

Ian Holm was a British actor who became a household name for his role as Bilbo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He also had a long and successful career in film, television, and theater, with roles in notable works such as Alien, The Fifth Element, and Chariots of Fire.

2. What was Ian Holm's role in "Lord of the Rings"?

Ian Holm played the iconic character of Bilbo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He reprised this role in the prequel films, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.

3. Was Ian Holm involved in any other sci-fi projects?

Aside from his memorable role in Lord of the Rings, Ian Holm also appeared in other sci-fi films such as Alien, The Fifth Element, and The Day After Tomorrow. He also had a recurring role in the TV series Doctor Who.

4. When did Ian Holm pass away?

Ian Holm passed away on June 19, 2020 at the age of 88. His death was announced by his agent, who stated that he died peacefully in the presence of his family.

5. How will Ian Holm be remembered by fans?

Ian Holm will be remembered as a talented and versatile actor who brought many beloved characters to life on screen and stage. He will always hold a special place in the hearts of fans, especially for his portrayal of Bilbo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.