Faraday's Principal of induction

• Thread starter mcaxiak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the E and B fields of plane electromagnetic waves are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation. This means that they cannot be described as in phase or out of phase in the traditional sense. However, their maximums and minimums do occur at the same point along the direction of propagation. This phenomenon is explained by the concept of polarization, which is covered in most intermediate and advanced texts on E&M. The difference in the understanding of the E and B fields being in phase or out of phase is due to the transverse nature of the waves and the two spatially independent solutions given any propagation direction. This is all in line with Faraday's Principle of induction, which states that the E and B fields in
mcaxiak
Okay, I've been told that the E and B fields in photons are out of phase, I've been told that they are in-phase.
If you just look at Faraday's Principal of induction, it follows that they are out of phase, but I've been told that when they are propogating they are not.
Why the difference? How should a system of four equations have another answer that the induction law does not allow?

Cheers,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
As I remember, the E and B fields of plane electromagnetic waves are perpendicular to each other and perpendicular to the direction of propagation. I'm not sure you can talk about in phase and out of phase in these conditions. Their mins and maxes do occur at the same point along the direction of propagation.

Yes, but why?

This is pretty basic stuff, covered in most intermediate and advanced texts on E&M. It is all about solving the Maxwell Eqs with plane waves. Because of the transverse nature of the waves, there are two spatially independent solutions given any propegation direction. E and B are temporarally in phase, and 90 degrees out of phase spatially. All of this is subsumed under the concept of polarization -- worth reading about.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Hehe, I posted a question about this a couple of months ago and it turned into a rather involved thread. And I never really felt as though I had a satisfactory picture of it... but the way reilly just phrased it is a good explanation and sheds a lot of light on the matter :biggrin:

Related to Faraday's Principal of induction

What is Faraday's Principle of induction?

Faraday's Principle of induction states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor, which in turn causes an electric current to flow.

How does Faraday's Principle of induction work?

According to Faraday's Principle of induction, when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, the magnetic field lines passing through the conductor will also change. This change in magnetic field lines induces an EMF in the conductor, which in turn creates an electric current.

What is the importance of Faraday's Principle of induction?

Faraday's Principle of induction is important because it explains the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It also forms the basis for many important technologies, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors.

What are some real-life applications of Faraday's Principle of induction?

Faraday's Principle of induction is used in a variety of technologies, including power generation, electric motors, and wireless charging. It is also used in everyday items, such as induction cooktops and wireless phone chargers.

What are some common misconceptions about Faraday's Principle of induction?

One common misconception is that Faraday's Principle of induction only applies to conductors. In reality, it can also be applied to non-conducting materials, such as insulators. Another misconception is that Faraday's Principle only works with changing magnetic fields, when in fact it also applies to stationary magnetic fields that are in motion relative to a conductor.