Fantasy for violin and orchestra

In summary, the conversation revolved around the piece "Fantasy for violin and orchestra" by Nigel Hess, which was compared to other popular pieces and deemed to be good for film music but lacking depth compared to classical repertoire. Suggestions for similar pieces were made, including the slow movement of Bruch's 1st violin concerto and "Schindler's List" played by Itzhak Perlman. The latter was praised for its beauty and difficulty to play like Perlman.
NATURE.M
"Fantasy for violin and orchestra"

Does anyone know any similar pieces as Joshua Bell " Fantasy for violin and orchestra", as I found it to be beautiful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how similar this is but it's one of my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about this?

Thanks for the suggestions, but to be honest they don't have the same effect on me lol.

Recording of the century:

Schindler's List

The Fantasy is by Nigel Hess and is from the film "Ladies in Lavender".

Although I'd agree it's good for film music, I find it quite formulaic and not very rich or deep compared with a lot of violin music from the classical repertoire. In particular, the harmonies are mostly a fairly simple repeated pattern (with one or two rather awkward changes) and the melody is effectively a concentrated dose of "best bits" following well-known patterns.

For similar popular music from the standard repertoire, you might like the slow movement of Bruch's 1st violin concerto. I really enjoyed playing that with a local orchestra a few years ago.

coconut62 said:
Schindler's List

I enjoyed this piece a lot thanks !

Schindler's List played by Itzhak Perlman. Its a very easy song to play, but to play it like Perlman...

glueball8 said:
Schindler's List played by Itzhak Perlman. Its a very easy song to play, but to play it like Perlman...

Wonderful!

Related to Fantasy for violin and orchestra

1. What is "Fantasy for violin and orchestra"?

"Fantasy for violin and orchestra" is a musical composition that features a solo violin accompanied by an orchestra. It is typically a longer, more free-form piece that allows for improvisation and showcases the virtuosity of the violinist.

2. Who composed "Fantasy for violin and orchestra"?

The composer of "Fantasy for violin and orchestra" can vary, as there are many different compositions with this title. Some notable composers include Ludwig van Beethoven, Max Bruch, and Ralph Vaughan Williams.

3. What is the structure of "Fantasy for violin and orchestra"?

The structure of "Fantasy for violin and orchestra" can vary depending on the composer and the specific piece. However, it typically follows a loose structure with multiple sections that allow for improvisation. It may also include a cadenza, which is a solo section for the violinist to showcase their technical abilities.

4. How is "Fantasy for violin and orchestra" different from a concerto?

While both "Fantasy for violin and orchestra" and a concerto feature a soloist accompanied by an orchestra, there are some key differences. A concerto typically has a more defined structure and follows a specific form, while a fantasy is more free-form. Additionally, a concerto is often written for a specific soloist, while a fantasy may be written for anyone to perform.

5. Can "Fantasy for violin and orchestra" be performed by a solo violinist without an orchestra?

Yes, "Fantasy for violin and orchestra" can be performed by a solo violinist without an orchestra. In this case, the violinist would play both the solo and orchestral parts, often using techniques such as double stops and pizzicato to simulate the sound of multiple instruments.