Falling object in a gravitational field with v^2 drag force

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the terminal velocity for a particle in a gravitational field subject to a resisting force and solving for the velocity of an object dropped from rest. The solution provided by one person is found to be correct, despite initial confusion about the form of the integral.
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

Consider a particle in a gravitational field that is also subject to a resisting force proportional to the velocity squared ( Fdrag = + or - cv2).
a) Find the terminal velocity, vT, for the object as it falls.

b) Show that for an object dropped from rest that the velocity is given by v = vTtanh-1(-t/β)
where β = sqrt( m/gc )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part a and got vT = sqrt( mg/c )
but for part b I am not getting the same result that is shown.
My work is shown in the attachment (the tau in the attachment is the β. I wrote it as β here because its hard to distinguish the t, T, and the tau on here)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me. Note that your solution has the correct asymptotic behavior for t → ∞; but the answer stated in the problem does not.

Your integral with respect to v is not correct,

Last edited:
ehild said:
Your integral with respect to v is not correct,
I cannot spot the mistake. Do you mind pointing out where I went wrong?

ehild said:
How did you integrate ##\frac{dv}{\frac{mg}{c}-v^2}##?
I used an integral table for this which says that
int [ dx/(a2-x2)] = (1/a) * tanh-1 (x/a)

where a = sqrt (mg/c) and this is for x2 < a2 which is the case here

Elvis 123456789 said:
I used an integral table for this which says that
int [ dx/(a2-x2)] = (1/a) * tanh-1 (x/a)

where a = sqrt (mg/c) and this is for x2 < a2 which is the case here
To obtain this result, you can change integration variable from x to z, where tanh(z) = x/a.

If you do the integral by partial fractions using 1/(a2 - x2) = 1/(2a) * [ 1/(a + x) + 1/(a - x) ] , then you get the integral expressed in terms of a logarithm instead of tanh-1.

TSny said:
To obtain this result, you can change integration variable from x to z, where tanh(z) = x/a.

If you do the integral by partial fractions using 1/(a2 - x2) = 1/(2a) * [ 1/(a + x) + 1/(a - x) ] , then you get the integral expressed in terms of a logarithm instead of tanh-1.
Right, I was just trying to express it as was requested in the question details. I'm still wondering if I made an error though as ehild suggests?

I believe your solution is correct. I thought maybe ehild was thinking of the logarithmic form of the integral.

TSny said:
I believe your solution is correct. I thought maybe ehild was thinking of the logarithmic form of the integral.
Thanks for the help. The result shown in the problem description is definitely wrong for the incorrect asymptotic behavior that you pointed out as t -> infinity. I emailed the professor about this so he can let the class know just in case anybody else was scratching their heads.

Elvis 123456789 said:
I cannot spot the mistake. Do you mind pointing out where I went wrong?
Sorry, I could not read your handwriting properly. Next time type in your derivation, please.
Your solution is correct. Yes, I thought of the logarithmic form of the integral, but the two forms are equivalent.

Related to Falling object in a gravitational field with v^2 drag force

What is a falling object in a gravitational field with v^2 drag force?

A falling object in a gravitational field with v^2 drag force is a scenario in which an object is dropped or thrown from a height in a gravitational field and experiences a drag force that is proportional to the square of its velocity. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects falling through air or other fluids.

How does v^2 drag force affect the motion of a falling object?

V^2 drag force acts in the opposite direction of motion for a falling object, which means it slows down the object's descent. As the object's velocity increases, the drag force also increases, eventually reaching a point where it is equal in magnitude to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant terminal velocity.

What factors affect the magnitude of v^2 drag force on a falling object?

The magnitude of v^2 drag force on a falling object is affected by several factors, including the object's mass, its cross-sectional area, the density of the medium it is falling through, and the object's velocity. A larger mass or cross-sectional area will result in a greater drag force, while a denser medium or higher velocity will also increase the drag force.

How does air resistance impact the motion of a falling object in a gravitational field?

Air resistance, also known as drag force, is a type of v^2 drag force that acts in the opposite direction of motion for a falling object. It can significantly affect the motion of a falling object by slowing it down and ultimately reaching a point of equilibrium at terminal velocity. Without air resistance, objects would fall at a constant rate of acceleration due to gravity.

How is the motion of a falling object in a gravitational field with v^2 drag force calculated?

The motion of a falling object in a gravitational field with v^2 drag force can be calculated using the equations of motion and incorporating the drag force into the calculation. This can be done using numerical methods or by solving differential equations. The specific calculation will depend on the initial conditions and variables involved in the scenario.