Factors that determine the coefficient of linear expansion

In summary, the coefficient of thermal expansion (α) is determined by factors such as the density, stiffness, and melting temperature of a material, as well as the strength of its molecular bonds. This can be seen in the inverse correlation between α and these characteristics in metals and ceramics. However, there is no clear relationship between α and thermal conductivity (k), with no consistent trend observed between the two values.
philip012
ΔL=LαΔT

The concept is interesting and applying its formula isn't even tedious, but what are the real factors that determine α here? I understand that thermal expansion is a direct consequence of the average separation between atoms. And that the coefficient can be found through different experiments. But I want to understand why different solids have different coefficients.

I think my strongest insight is that α value must be somehow inversely proportional to a solid's density. So we have soft metals like aluminum with high values of α and epoxy with twice that of alumn. And then we have dense metals like steel that don't really expand that much. Titanium is one of the hardest metals I've worked with and its coefficient α is very low. Is there a strong relationship between these two? Or is there a factor more relevant?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would probably guess that the strength of the molecular bonds is a better predictor of thermal expansion. Of course, stronger molecular bonds go somewhat hand in hand the more rigid the object is, and thus solids would have less expansion.

rumborak said:
I would probably guess that the strength of the molecular bonds is a better predictor of thermal expansion.

Agreed. Since thermal expansion in ceramics and metals is primarily dependent on the shape of the atomic pair potential and its depth, the coefficient of thermal expansion in these materials is generally inversely correlated with the density, the stiffness, and the melting temperature, all of which tend to increase with bond strength.

I don't think it's simple. Here's the coefficient of thermal expansion for Fe/Ni alloys as the Ni composition varies. Note the sharp minimum at 36%.

350px-Invar-Graph-CTE-composition.svg.png

Oh, definitely. My link shows only the trend for elements, and even then the correlation isn't absolute. With ferritic alloys, you're going to get some coupling with magnetism that could complicate things tremendously. (Or let you design a cool low-thermal-expansion material, depending on how you look at it!)

Really good stuff, thanks a bunch. Just a very subtle follow-up question on this...
how does thermal conductivity relate to this coefficient? Does it have to do with its density, stiffness, melting temp like Mapes noted or molecular bonds like Rumborak suggested?
When i a build a chart, there doesn't seem to be any, proportional or not, relationship..
metal / a / k
iron / 12 / 0.163
copper/ 16.6 / 0.99
Alum / 22.2 / 0.50

It's a very small sample, but it already prevents any kind of linear relationship.. When I manipulate the formulas "ΔL=LαΔT" and "k = (Q*L) / (A*ΔT*Δt)", there definitely is some kind of inverse proportionality inherent, but the could the other variables be weighted more resulting in my skewed chart?

Is there a specific reason why you would think the two are related? I mean, two values not being related is probably more the norm than the exception.

Only because I have a lab question that asks what the relationship between the two is.. But yeah, to digress more, when I had manipulated the two formulas "ΔL=LαΔT" and "k = (Q*L) / (A*ΔT*Δt)", I ended up with a single equation that was obnoxiously hairy where, while "k" was on one side and "1/α", there was just too many other variables that affected the relationship..

philip012 said:
Only because I have a lab question that asks what the relationship between the two is.
Then such a question needs to be asked in the homework forum, with an attempt at a solution.

Thread closed.

Related to Factors that determine the coefficient of linear expansion

1. What is the coefficient of linear expansion?

The coefficient of linear expansion is a measure of how much a material will expand or contract when subjected to a change in temperature. It is represented by the symbol α and is typically measured in units of length per unit temperature (e.g. m/m°C).

2. How is the coefficient of linear expansion determined?

The coefficient of linear expansion is determined by conducting experiments in which a material is heated or cooled and the resulting change in length is measured. This change in length is then divided by the original length and the temperature change to calculate the coefficient of linear expansion.

3. What are the factors that affect the coefficient of linear expansion?

The main factors that determine the coefficient of linear expansion are the type of material, its chemical composition, and the temperature range it is subjected to. Generally, materials with a greater atomic bonding strength and lower atomic weight will have a lower coefficient of linear expansion.

4. How does the coefficient of linear expansion impact real-world applications?

The coefficient of linear expansion is an important factor in engineering and construction, as it affects the stability and durability of structures and materials. For example, it is crucial to consider when designing bridges and buildings, as changes in temperature can cause significant expansion or contraction and potentially lead to structural damage.

5. Can the coefficient of linear expansion be altered?

While the coefficient of linear expansion is primarily determined by the properties of the material, it can be altered through the addition of certain elements or compounds. For example, adding carbon to iron can decrease its coefficient of linear expansion, making it more suitable for use in high-temperature environments.