Factors affecting generator life and performance

In summary, the factors that affect the life and performance of a generator, aside from environmental factors, include load, vibration, and several other factors such as wear on sliding parts, insulation breakdown, dirt and grime buildup, and thermal expansion. It is important to keep generators taut, clean, and cool to ensure their longevity. While there may be hundreds of factors that could potentially affect the life of a generator, the primary ones are load and vibration.
ggmu93
Hi I am a student who wants to know what factors apart from environmental factors affect the life and performance of a generator. I think that the load also would affect the life if so How? Also are there any other factors.

Do let me know ..thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see how load can reduce the life. Providing load is what they are designed for.

I think the number one non-environmental threat to long life is vibration.

Your question makes me think of the generators and motors near Niagara Falls that have been running about 125 years. They are probably good for an additional 250 years.

9894-1.gif

Likes jim hardy
Oh ok thanks a lot! So its just environmental factors and vibrations that affect generator life then?

ggmu93 said:
Oh ok thanks a lot! So its just environmental factors and vibrations that affect generator life then?

I didn't say "just" I said "primary". If you want to look in depth, there are hundreds of factors.

cool thanks

What wears out ?
sliding parts like bearings brushes and slip rings.
Insulation on the wires can get abraded away if they're allowed to vibrate, and excessive temperature can make it brittle and crumbly.
Insulating varnish can break down chemically from excessive heat. That's the "Burnt" smell a motor emits shortly before failure, often accompanied by smoke..

Allowing dirt and grime to accumulate will block flow of cooling air and it might get into your moving parts.
I recently fixed an expensive electric saw by simply cleaning grime out of the brush holders - it had jammed the brushes in place and they lost contact with the armature.

Fixed another one that had a fractured brush holder, likely from thermal cycling because it had got covered up with sawdust.

saw2_4pf.jpg

Just soldered a piece of flexible wire across the fracture . Now the rigid brass part is free to shrink & swell a little bit with temperature..
saw4.jpg

Keep it "Taut Clean and Cool" is one of the fundamentals of electrical maintenance.

Designers allow for thermal expansion that occurs with changing load. Probably this particular holder fell victim to tolerance stackup.

old jim

@jim hardy you know, it's funny. When someone asks about generators, you think

maxresdefault.jpg

while I think

Modern_Steam_Turbine_Generator.jpg
while others think

maxresdefault.jpg

The fun part is that for many questions, it doesn't matter. :-p

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 377
Likes jim hardy
anorlunda said:
The fun part is that for many questions, it doesn't matter. :-p

Indeed that !

They're all rotating machines
and the only difference between a motor and generator is the direction of torque applied to the shaft- does it oppose or favor rotation ?

Related to Factors affecting generator life and performance

What are the common causes of generator failure?

The most common causes of generator failure are lack of maintenance, overload, poor fuel quality, and environmental factors such as extreme temperatures and moisture.

How does the load affect the lifespan of a generator?

The load placed on a generator can have a significant impact on its lifespan. Running a generator at full load for extended periods of time can cause wear and tear on its components, leading to a shorter lifespan. It is important to properly match the generator's capacity to the intended load to avoid overloading.

What role do fuel quality and storage play in generator performance?

Fuel quality and storage are crucial factors for the performance of a generator. Poor quality fuel can cause clogging and damage to the generator's engine, resulting in decreased efficiency and potential failure. Proper storage of fuel is also important to prevent contamination and degradation.

How do environmental factors impact generator life and performance?

Extreme environmental conditions, such as high temperatures, excessive moisture, and salt air, can have a negative impact on a generator's lifespan and performance. It is important to take these factors into consideration when selecting a location for the generator and implementing maintenance and protection measures.

What maintenance practices can extend the life of a generator?

Regular maintenance is essential for prolonging the life and ensuring the optimal performance of a generator. This includes routine inspections, oil and filter changes, load testing, and addressing any issues promptly. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.