Factorising Polynomials in Z[x]

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary: If you are factoring something given to you then you are doing what is called 'reducing' the problem.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

How do you factorise polynomials in Z[x]? Z is not a field so you can't use the theorem 'a is a root of f <=> (x-a) divides f'

The Attempt at a Solution

Would you map the polynomials from Z[x] to Q[x] by multiplying by 1, since all elements in Z[x] are in Q[x]. Then factorise in Q[x] usiong the theorem above. If the factors have coefficients in Z than map (multiply by 1) these back to Z[x] so you have factorised these polynomials and they exist in Z[x]. If the factors in Q[x] have coefficients not in Z then you can't map back to Z[x] hence these are not factorisable in Z[x].
Is this how you would factorise polynomials in Z[x], formally?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up Gauss' lemma.

How does Gauss' lemma help?

What makes you think passing to Q[x] suddenly makes things easier? What is the factorization ox x^2-2 in Z[x]? And in Q[x]? The x-a a root thing is still as valid/not valid in Z[x] as in Q[x]. In fact that is what (one of) Gauss's Lemmas states: a poly is irreducible over Z iff it is irreducible over Q.

You factorise it 'by doing it'. I.e. trying to find a factorization. In general this is *very hard* and can't be done by any decent analytic means. It is however possible to show there are no integral roots by exhaustion.

Last edited:
Really? Second bullet point. If a poly is irreducible over Z it is irreducible over Q. (Obviously if it is reducible over Z it is reducible over Q).

Right. But the second point only has one way from the integers to the rationals. You had iff in your previous post?! Consider f(x)=2x^2+2x+2 is irreducible in Q[x] but is reducible in Z[x] i.e f(x)=2(x^2+x+1).

Anyhow, if you follow my method, and map the polynomials to Q[x] then you can (potentially) factorise by finding zeros of it (which is allowed by the theorem). Then follow two implications,
Let f(x) by original polynomial in Z[x]
1. f(x) primitive in Z[x] and irreducible in Q[x] => irreducible in Z[x]
2. f(x) is monic and reducible in Q[x] => reducible in Z[x]

It was convienent that all f(x) I was interested in factorising were monic hence also primitive so by mapping them to Q[x] I was able to tell if it was irreducible or reducible in Z[x], rigorously. If the word is appropriate here.

But would you say 'mapping' is a good word here? I am merely factoring specific polynomials given to me which were said to be in Z[x]. But I chose to test reducibility in Q[x]. Is a map really needed here? If not than what should I say or justify me taking the polynomials to Q[x] and doing the maths?

Last edited:
I pointed out the 'other' direction. It is trivial: irreducible over Q implies irreducible over Z. That really is trivial.

But what about

f(x)=2x^2+2x+2 is irreducible in Q[x] but is reducible in Z[x] i.e f(x)=2(x^2+x+1) with neither 2 nor x^2+x+1 is a unit in Z[x]

So you need
f(x) primitive in Z[x] and irreducible in Q[x] => irreducible in Z[x]
Correct?

The definition of irreducible I use is, P is irreducible <=>
P is non unit and if p=ab than a is a unit or b is a unit
What about my mapping question in my previous post? Is it appropriate?

Last edited:
Ok, modulo trivialities like dividing by a constant, jeez are you missing the point.

Related to Factorising Polynomials in Z[x]

1. What is factorization in Z[x]?

Factorization in Z[x] is the process of breaking down a polynomial with integer coefficients into a product of smaller polynomials with integer coefficients. This is done by finding the common factors of the polynomial and grouping them together.

2. Why is factorization in Z[x] important?

Factorization in Z[x] is important because it allows us to simplify and solve polynomial equations. It also helps in understanding the structure of polynomials and finding their roots.

3. How do you factorize elements in Z[x]?

To factorize elements in Z[x], you need to find the common factors of the polynomial and group them together. Then, use techniques such as grouping, difference of squares, or trial and error to further factorize the polynomial until it cannot be factored any further.

4. Can all elements in Z[x] be factorized?

Yes, all elements in Z[x] can be factorized. However, some polynomials may have complex or irrational roots, which cannot be factored into integers.

5. What are the common methods for factorization in Z[x]?

The common methods for factorization in Z[x] include grouping, difference of squares, trial and error, and using the rational root theorem. Other techniques such as synthetic division and completing the square can also be used for specific types of polynomials.