Factoring x^{16}-x in F_8[x] and Proving Equivalency in F_2[x]

In summary: Note that the polynomial factors completely into linears over \mathbb{F}_{16}. Notice that \mathbb{F}_8 is a degree 3 extension of \mathbb{F}_2, and \mathbb{F}_{16} is a degree 4, and \gcd(3,4)=1. That should get you started.
R.P.F.

Homework Statement

Factor [tex]x^{16}-x [/tex] in [tex]F_8[x][/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do it in [tex]F_2[x] [/tex]. I also feel the factorizations are the same in the two fields..but not sure how to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you approach this question in [tex]\mathbb{F}_2[X][/tex]?? Also think about which parts of this approach do and do not carry over to [tex]\mathbb{F}_8[X][/tex]??

micromass said:
How would you approach this question in [tex]\mathbb{F}_2[X][/tex]?? Also think about which parts of this approach do and do not carry over to [tex]\mathbb{F}_8[X][/tex]??

[tex]q=p^r[/tex]There is a theorem saying that the irreducible polynomials of [tex]x^q-x[/tex] over [tex]F_p[x][/tex] where [tex]p[/tex] is a prime are the irreducible polynomials in [tex]F_p[x][/tex] whose degrees divide [tex]r[/tex]. So in [tex]F_2[x][/tex] the poly is [tex]x(x-1)(x^2+x+1)(x^4+x^3+x^3+x+1)(x^4+x+1)(x^4+x^3+1)[/tex]. I can show that in [tex]F_8[x][/tex] the poly has no more linear factors than in [tex]F_2[/tex] but not sure how to deal with quadratics.

R.P.F. said:
[tex]q=p^r[/tex]There is a theorem saying that the irreducible polynomials of [tex]x^q-x[/tex] over [tex]F_p[x][/tex] where [tex]p[/tex] is a prime are the irreducible polynomials in [tex]F_p[x][/tex] whose degrees divide [tex]r[/tex]. So in [tex]F_2[x][/tex] the poly is [tex]x(x-1)(x^2+x+1)(x^4+x^3+x^3+x+1)(x^4+x+1)(x^4+x^3+1)[/tex]. I can show that in [tex]F_8[x][/tex] the poly has no more linear factors than in [tex]F_2[/tex] but not sure how to deal with quadratics.

OK, that's already good. Can you show now that the expression [tex]x(x-1)(x^2+x+1)(x^4+x^3+x^3+x+1)(x^4+x+1)(x^4+x^3+1)[/tex] is also the factorization in [tex]\mathbb{F}_8[X][/tex]. To do this, you have to show that no other polynomial in the expression factorizes. Let me give you an example how to do this:

Consider [tex]x^2+x+1[/tex], if it factorizes in [tex]\mathbb{F}_8[X][/tex], then it factorizes in linear factors. So, if it factorizes, then the polynomial [tex]x^2+x+1[/tex] must have a root in [tex]\mathbb{F}_8[/tex]. This is not possible, because no element in [tex]\mathbb{F}_8[/tex] has degree 2.
Try to do something for the other polynomials...

micromass said:
OK, that's already good. Can you show now that the expression [tex]x(x-1)(x^2+x+1)(x^4+x^3+x^3+x+1)(x^4+x+1)(x^4+x^3+1)[/tex] is also the factorization in [tex]\mathbb{F}_8[X][/tex]. To do this, you have to show that no other polynomial in the expression factorizes. Let me give you an example how to do this:

Consider [tex]x^2+x+1[/tex], if it factorizes in [tex]\mathbb{F}_8[X][/tex], then it factorizes in linear factors. So, if it factorizes, then the polynomial [tex]x^2+x+1[/tex] must have a root in [tex]\mathbb{F}_8[/tex]. This is not possible, because no element in [tex]\mathbb{F}_8[/tex] has degree 2.
Try to do something for the other polynomials...

Yeah I know how to show that there are no more linear factors but quadratics are giving me trouble. I do not see how to see the degree-4 factors cannot be factored into two quadratics..hints please?

I do not see how to see the degree-4 factors cannot be factored into two quadratics

Note that the polynomial factors completely into linears over [itex]\mathbb{F}_{16}[/itex]. Notice that [itex]\mathbb{F}_8[/itex] is a degree 3 extension of [itex]\mathbb{F}_2[/itex], and [itex]\mathbb{F}_{16}[/itex] is a degree 4, and [itex]\gcd(3,4)=1[/itex]. That should get you started.

Related to Factoring x^{16}-x in F_8[x] and Proving Equivalency in F_2[x]

1. What is factoring polynomials?

Factoring polynomials is the process of breaking down a polynomial into smaller, simpler polynomials. It involves finding the common factors of the polynomial and rewriting it as a product of these factors.

2. Why is factoring polynomials important?

Factoring polynomials is important because it allows us to solve equations and find the roots of polynomials. It also helps us simplify complex expressions and make calculations easier.

3. What are the methods for factoring polynomials?

The most commonly used methods for factoring polynomials are the Greatest Common Factor (GCF) method, the Difference of Squares method, and the Quadratic Formula method. Other methods include grouping, trial and error, and the sum and product rule.

4. Can all polynomials be factored?

No, not all polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials, such as prime polynomials, cannot be factored any further. However, most polynomials can be factored using one of the methods mentioned above.

5. How do you check if a polynomial is factored correctly?

To check if a polynomial is factored correctly, you can use the distributive property to multiply the factors back together and see if it equals the original polynomial. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the polynomial and see if the factors match the x-intercepts.