Factorials & Series - im a little lost here

In summary, the conversation discussed methods for calculating the sum of positive integers and factorials. It was suggested to use the formula (n^2+n)/2 for a sum of unknowns with power of 1 starting at 1, and (n^2-n)/2 if it starts at 0. Stirling's approximation was also mentioned as a good approximation for ln(n!). The conversation also touched on Euler-Maclaurin summation and using e^{\sum_{k=1}^n ln(k)} to return to n!.
3trQN
I Have a small problem.

I know the following:

The series:
[tex]
S_{n} = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = \sum_{i=1}^{n=5}i
[/tex]

[tex]
2S_{n} = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = n(n+1) = n^{2} + n
[/tex]

Therefor:
[tex]
S_{n} = \frac{2S_{n}}{2} = \frac{n^{2} + n}{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^{n=5}i = \frac{n^{2} + n}{2} = \frac{25 + 5}{2} = 15
[/tex]

Ok, that's simple.
But i was attempting to do the same with the factorials, where:[tex]
ln(n!) = ln(5!) = ln(1) + ln(2) + ... + ln(5) = \sum_{i=1}^{n=5}log(i)
[/tex]

Is it possible to apply the same method, or something similar here? I did try a few but got a bit cheesed off.

In the first case, you just duplicate and reverse the sequence and add to get a constant sequence.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]ln(n!) = ln(5!) = ln(1) + ln(2) + ... + ln(5) = \sum_{i=1}^{n=5}ln(i)[/tex]

Don't you mean that? Sum of Ln(i) ?

[tex]2\sum_{i=1}^{n=5}i[/tex] can also be written as [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n=5}2i[/tex] if I'm not mistaking. Your algebration wrote it as [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n=5}i + \sum_{i=1}^{n=5}i[/tex] which is correct but not necessarily useful.

Now...If I recall the Logaritmic properties, Log(a)+Log(b)=Log(ab)

So [tex]ln(n!)= Ln(1*2*3*4*5...n) = Ln(1)+Ln(2)+Ln(3)...+Ln(n)=\sum_{i=1}^{n=oo}ln(i)[/tex]

From what I can tell you are correct. Well except n=5 part. If you have
[tex]ln(n!)[/tex] without any other condition it will equal [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n=oo}ln(i)[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes, thanks.

Now...If I recall the Logaritmic properties, Log(a)+Log(b)=Log(ab)

Erm, yeah, working the other way though :P

The idea is, one fast method for calculating the sum of the positive integers to a given value, say 10, is to take 0.5(10^2 + 10).

Well i was wondering if there is a shortcut for factorials in a similar manner.

Its late, and the coffee has stopped working...

3trQN said:
The idea is, one fast method for calculating the sum of the positive integers to a given value, say 10, is to take 0.5(10^2 + 10).

That is true...but all I got in my Pre-Calculus about sums is some basic ways to do them, no explanations.

(n^2+n)/2 if you have a sum of an unknown with power of 1 starting at 1, (n^2-n)/2 if it starts at zero I think...and some formulas for situations when you make a Sum of...n^2 and n^3 etc...But never why.

They showed some substraction between terms, double substraction if its quadratic until the difference is the same...something about a 3x4 matrix for quadratics...If I stretch my brain i may be able to reproduce it but it didn't explain most of anything. That is one area of Mathematics that I'd like to revisit in the future.

there is no exact formula, but there is a very good approximation for [itex] \log(n!) [/itex] that gets better as [itex] n [/itex] gets large. it's called Stirling's approximation and is:

[tex] \frac{1}{12 n + 1} < \log \left( \frac{n!}{\sqrt{2 \pi n}} \right) - n \left( \log(n) - 1 \right)< \frac{1}{12 n} [/tex]

or

[tex] n \left( \log(n) - 1 \right) + \frac{\log(2 \pi n)}{2} + \frac{1}{12 n + 1} < \log(n!) < n \left( \log(n) - 1 \right) + \frac{\log(2 \pi n)}{2} + \frac{1}{12 n} [/tex]

i would suggest to Google or Wikipedia it to find out why this is true.

Last edited:
You might want to look up Euler-Maclaurin summation.

Thanks, got a fresh day and a new cup of coffee. Ill read up on those two topics.

You can get back to the nth factorial with this representation:

[tex]e^{\sum_{k=1}^n ln(k)}[/tex]

Not sure if this is at all helpful to you, but there's a statement that returns you to n!

Try it out, I assure you it works, except if you let k= 0 as ln(0) is undefined.

Related to Factorials & Series - im a little lost here

1. What is a factorial?

A factorial is a mathematical operation denoted by the symbol "!" that is used to calculate the product of a whole number and all the whole numbers below it. For example, 5! (read as "5 factorial") is equal to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How do you calculate factorials?

To calculate a factorial, you simply multiply the given number by all of the whole numbers that come before it. For example, to find 7!, you would multiply 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 5,040.

3. What is the purpose of factorials in mathematics?

Factorials are often used in combination with other mathematical concepts, such as permutations and combinations, to solve complex problems. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate the likelihood of certain events.

4. What is the difference between a factorial and a series?

A factorial is a single number, while a series is a sequence of numbers. Factorials are used to calculate the product of a given number and all the numbers below it, while series involve adding or subtracting numbers in a specific pattern.

5. How do you find the sum of a series?

The sum of a series is found by adding all the numbers in the sequence. The method used to find the sum varies depending on the type of series, such as arithmetic, geometric, or infinite series. Generally, a formula or pattern is used to find the sum of a series.