Factorial question in a power series solution

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution in summation form for the equation y''-2xy'+2py=0, where p is a positive integer. The speaker has assumed y=\sum a_{n}x^{n} for n=0 to inf and is getting two formulas for a_{n} for odd and even n. They are related to a_{0} and a_{1} and involve factorials. They ask for validation of their equations and share their guess at the summation form of the complete solution. The expert confirms that the equations are valid and provides a simplified version of the solution in summation form.
elegysix
Hello, I've been working on solving the equation y''-2xy'+2py=0. where p is a positive integer.

I've assumed y=[itex]\sum a_{n}x^{n}[/itex] for n=0 to inf

I'm getting two formulas for [itex]a_{n}[/itex]
One is for odd n, the other for even n, related to [itex]a_{0}[/itex] and [itex]a_{1}[/itex]

However, the relation involves something that looks like a factorial but it skips every other number, such as p(p-2)(p-4)(p-6)...

My question is whether this is valid:

[itex]n!=n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)...[/itex]

[itex]2^{n}(n)!=2n(2n-2)(2n-4)(2n-6)...[/itex]

letting [itex]p=2n [/itex] then

[itex]2^{p-1}(\frac {p}{2})!=p(p-2)(p-4)(p-6)...[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is perfectly valid. I would have analyzed it the other way:
[tex]2*4*6*...*(2n)= (2*1)(2*2)(2*3)...(2*n)= 2^n(n!)[/tex]
You can also say that
[tex]1*3*5*...*(2n+1)= \frac{1*2*3*4*5*...*(2n)*(2n+1)}{2*4*...*(2n)}= \frac{(2n+1)!}{2^n n!}[/tex]

I am supposed to find the solution in summation form, would you mind looking over it? I'm not sure if the factorials give the correct terms based on n. I'll post my equations for the coefficients, and what I think is the formula for them.

n even:
[itex]a_{2}=-pa_{0}[/itex]

[itex]a_{4}=\frac{(-1)^{2}2^{2}p(p-2)a_{0}}{4!}[/itex]

[itex]a_{6}=\frac{(-1)^{3}2^{3}p(p-2)(p-4)a_{0}}{6!}[/itex]

[itex]a_{8}=\frac{(-1)^{4}2^{4}p(p-2)(p-4)(p-6)a_{0}}{8!}[/itex]

n odd:
[itex]a_{3}=\frac{(-1)2(p-1)a_{1}}{3!}[/itex]

[itex]a_{5}=\frac{(-1)^{2}2^{2}(p-1)(p-3)a_{1}}{5!}[/itex]

[itex]a_{7}=\frac{(-1)^{3}2^{3}(p-1)(p-3)(p-5)a_{1}}{7!}[/itex]my guess at the 'summation form of the complete solution' is this:

[itex]y(x)=-pa_{0} + \sum a_{n}x^{n}[/itex] for n = 1 to inf

where [itex]a_{n} = \frac {-1^{\frac{n}{2}}2^{\frac{n}{2}}(\frac{p}{2})!a_{0}}{n!(\frac{p-n}{2})!}[/itex] for n even

and [itex]a_{n} = \frac {-1^{\frac{n-1}{2}}2^{\frac{n-1}{2}}(\frac{p-1}{2})!a_{1}}{n!(\frac{p-n-1}{2})!}[/itex] for n odd

I know that's a nightmare, but I'd appreciate it if you could criticize or tell me if this is wrong / if its acceptable in form. I don't know that the ratio of the factorials gives the terms I need above, I think it does.

Last edited:

Related to Factorial question in a power series solution

What is a factorial?

A factorial is a mathematical function denoted by the symbol "!" that is defined as the product of all positive integers less than or equal to a given number. For example, 5! (read as "five factorial") is equal to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

How is a factorial used in a power series solution?

In a power series solution, a factorial is used to represent the coefficients of the terms in the series. For example, if the series is 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + ..., the coefficient of x^3 is 1/3! = 1/6.

What is the formula for a power series solution with factorials?

The formula for a power series solution with factorials is given by ∑(n=0 to ∞) a_n * x^n, where a_n = f^n(0)/n!, f^n(0) represents the nth derivative of the function at x=0, and x^n represents the term in the series.

How is a factorial calculated?

A factorial can be calculated using the formula n! = n * (n-1) * (n-2) * ... * 3 * 2 * 1. For larger values of n, a calculator or computer program is often used to calculate the factorial.

What is the significance of factorials in mathematics?

Factorials have many applications in mathematics, including in probability, combinations and permutations, and in the formulas for binomial coefficients and Taylor series. They also have connections to other mathematical concepts such as the gamma function and the combinatorial number system.