Facebook Deleting Comments That Question Advertisers?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, Facebook deleted a comment that mentioned how the modern Eko stethoscope product advertisement seemed misplaced with this video of 1960s US EMS responses.
berkeman
Mentor
This is really weird. I commented on this Facebook feed/advertisement a few days ago that the modern Eko stethoscope product advertisement seemed to be misplaced with this video of 1960s US EMS responses (note the ancient gurney) and my comment got deleted, presumably by Facebook because Eko is an advertiser. Has anybody else had a comment deleted by Facebook because of a conflict with an advertiser?

1618099258499.png

Physics news on Phys.org
No, but the discussion about bacon in Germany in Random Thoughts today brought me a bacon ad. They are really fast! Did you receive a notice, or how did you know?

fresh_42 said:
or how did you know?
Just because I know I commented a couple days ago, and now when I click on the Comments link, there are none. Maybe they hide all comments on ad threads like this?

Plus strangely, when I try to right-click on the FB post image/ad, it does not give me the option to copy it or its URL. Hmm...

berkeman said:
Just because I know I commented a couple days ago, and now when I click on the Comments link, there are none. Maybe they hide all comments on ad threads like this?
Another possibility is, that you commented on a certain post a few days ago, and now didn't find any comments on a shared version, or otherwise duplicate post. Did you check 'your activity log'?

I've often noticed repeated ads on facebook that have new comment threads every single time, so I have assumed they are different ads from facebook's perspective that happen to have the same advertisement attached to it.

Likes Mondayman
Ah, thanks guys. That makes a lot more sense than my comment being deleted.

I would be surprised if that got deleted. I've found pictures of excrement floating in toilets and left them in the comments on ads and news articles that I think are completely unworthy of publication. They never get deleted.

Ads also get reposted frequently with new comments. One kept getting reposted after I would call it out for having a young half-naked girl in the picture for no reason (it was a silly indoor game with cups and strings).

• Haha
Likes artis and Haborix
Mondayman said:
I would be surprised if that got deleted. I've found pictures of excrement floating in toilets and left them in the comments on ads and news articles that I think are completely unworthy of publication. They never get deleted.
Well, Mark Zuckerberg can do it though.

waternohitter said:
Well, Mark Zuckerberg can do it though.
Well, yeah, he probably could if he really wanted to.

Something I should bring up is that if you are the owner of a post on Facebook (i.e., you are the one who shared or posted it in the first place), you have the power to hide or delete comments on that post.

For example, open Facebook and go to your profile page (again, this is Facebook, not PF). Find a post that you made that has at least one comment on it. Hover your mouse over the comment and a "..." will appear. Clicking on the "..." will allow you to "Delete or hide" the comment.

So yes, the creator of the add has the power to delete or hide comments made to their own posts. But I think this is really a matter of whether they did hide the comments, rather than if they could.

I just posted a reply in here that Facebook is indeed deleting comments when it comes to certain organisations controling the west, the comment was even deleted in here. This is not a free place either.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Suwayyah said:
This is not a free place either.
Certainly not. We're far more restrictive than facebook. Keeps the signal-to-noise ratio high.

Likes OmCheeto, Wrichik Basu, russ_watters and 1 other person
Suwayyah said:
This is not a free place either.
No, it is not. It's also not a place to discuss crackpot conspiracy theories. It's a place to discuss physics.

Thread closed. There is nothing to add here, except a lecture about the freedom of speech in the light of the freedom of nonsense on private platforms.

Likes berkeman

Related to Facebook Deleting Comments That Question Advertisers?

1. Why does Facebook delete comments that question advertisers?

Facebook has a policy that prohibits users from making negative or false comments about advertisers. This is to protect the reputation and privacy of the advertisers and to maintain a positive user experience on the platform.

2. How does Facebook determine which comments to delete?

Facebook uses a combination of automated systems and human moderators to flag and remove comments that violate their policies. These systems and moderators review the content of the comment and determine if it violates any of Facebook's community standards.

3. Can I appeal the deletion of my comment?

Yes, you can appeal the deletion of your comment by clicking on the "Appeal" button next to the deleted comment. Facebook will then review your appeal and make a decision on whether to reinstate the comment or keep it deleted.

4. Is it possible to question advertisers without having my comment deleted?

Yes, it is possible to question advertisers on Facebook without having your comment deleted. However, it is important to do so in a respectful and factual manner, without making false claims or attacking the advertiser.

5. Can I get my account suspended for questioning advertisers on Facebook?

If your comments violate Facebook's community standards, you may receive a warning or have your account temporarily suspended. However, if you follow Facebook's guidelines and policies, you should not face any consequences for questioning advertisers on the platform.