F(n) Limit Calculation and Inequality Proof Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of f(n) = (1 - (1/n))^n as n approaches infinity, which is calculated to be 1/e. The goal is to show that 1 > (f(60)/f(infinity)) > e-1/59 > 58/59 by using the inequality x/(1-x) > -log(1-x) > x with 0<x<1 and the fact that e^x >= 1+x. By inverting and plugging in values for x, it is shown that e-1/59 < 59/60 < e-1/60, which is close to the desired inequality. Finally, taking the log and using the
sr3056
Given f(n) = (1 - (1/n))n

I calculate that the limit as n -> infinity is 1/e.

Also given that x/(1-x) > -log(1-x) > x with 0<x<1 (I proved this in an earlier part of the question) I want to show that:

1 > (f(60)/f(infinity)) > e-1/59 > 58/59

I have tried using my value for f (infinity) and f(60) = e60*log(59/60) in the original inequality but cannot seem to rearrange it to the last one.

I get e(x/1-x) > 1/1-x > ex but am not sure where to go from there.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey sr3056 and welcome to the forums.

Try subtracting 1/59 from both sides (let x = 1)

Do you know e^x >= 1+x (with "=" just for x=0)? You can use it to show ex/(1-x) > 1/(1-x)

1/1-x > ex... maybe the derivatives can give you some way to prove this.

@chiro: x=1 is not in the range where the equation is well-defined.

sr3056 said:
I get e(x/1-x) > 1/1-x > ex but am not sure where to go from there.
Try inverting each term in that line (adjusting the relationships as appropriate), then plugging in a value for x.

Thank you for your responses.

Inverting, I get e(x/x-1) < 1 - x < e-x

Letting x = 1/60 I then get e-1/59 < 59/60 < e-1/60

This is starting to look a bit more like it, but I'm not sure how my f(60) and f(infinity) values are going to come in...

"f(60)/f(infinity)" = e*(1-1/60)^60
Take the log, and your inequality reads:

0 > 1+60 log(1-1/60) > -1/59
You get the left ">" with "-log(1-x) > x" and the right ">" with "x/(1-x) > -log(1-x)", both with the obvious choice for x.

Thank you very much

Related to F(n) Limit Calculation and Inequality Proof Help

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

How is the Mean Value Theorem used in real-life applications?

The Mean Value Theorem is used in real-life applications to find the average rate of change of a function over a specific interval. This can be used to analyze the speed of an object in motion, the average temperature over a period of time, and many other scenarios where finding the average rate of change is important.

What are the conditions for the Mean Value Theorem to hold?

To apply the Mean Value Theorem, the function must be continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. This means that the function must not have any breaks or gaps in the interval and must have a well-defined slope at each point.

What is the geometric interpretation of the Mean Value Theorem?

The geometric interpretation of the Mean Value Theorem is that it guarantees the existence of a tangent line that is parallel to the secant line connecting the two endpoints of the interval. This tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point.

How is the Mean Value Theorem related to the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem and the Intermediate Value Theorem are both fundamental theorems in calculus. While the Mean Value Theorem guarantees the existence of a tangent line with a specific slope, the Intermediate Value Theorem guarantees the existence of a specific value within a given interval. Both theorems rely on the continuity of a function to hold.