Eye Color Change: Will It Change With Age?

In summary, it is possible for eye color to change with age, but it is determined by genetics. Based on the information provided, it is most likely that the person asking the question has brown eyes like their mother and will not experience a change in eye color as they age.
$treet$oulja
hey all I've read a couple articles about eye color changing with ageing, well here's the thing i have brown eyes but my father which is 48 has light brown kind of hazel looking eyes and my mom brown.I was wondering sense I am 16 will my eye color change as i grow older?

Biology news on Phys.org
alright, but still dosent answer my question as much towards my post

$treet$oulja said:
hey all I've read a couple articles about eye color changing with ageing, well here's the thing i have brown eyes but my father which is 48 has light brown kind of hazel looking eyes and my mom brown.I was wondering sense I am 16 will my eye color change as i grow older?
Most likely your father is heterozygous for brown eye color with recessive hazel gene (Bh), while your mother is homozygous for brown eye color (BB). You are either Bh or BB, but since you do not mention that you see any trace of your father hazel in your eyes, you most likely are just like mom (BB). What this means is that any children you have will all have brown eyes--if not, then you are like your father and have the Bh genotype. Be thankful you can see--do not worry about color of your eyes.

Related to Eye Color Change: Will It Change With Age?

1. What causes changes in eye color as we age?

As we age, the amount of melanin (a pigment that gives color to our eyes) in our irises can decrease, causing a change in eye color. This decrease in melanin production is a natural part of the aging process.

2. Can eye color change multiple times over a person's lifetime?

Yes, it is possible for a person's eye color to change multiple times throughout their life. This is due to a combination of genetics, aging, and environmental factors.

3. Is it possible for eye color to change back to its original color?

In rare cases, it is possible for eye color to change back to its original color. This can occur due to certain medical conditions or the use of certain medications.

4. At what age does eye color typically stop changing?

Eye color typically stops changing by the age of 3. However, some people may experience slight changes in their eye color throughout their adult life.

5. Can certain lifestyle habits affect eye color changes?

Yes, certain lifestyle habits such as smoking, excessive sun exposure, and poor nutrition can contribute to changes in eye color. These habits can affect the amount of melanin produced in the iris, leading to a change in eye color.