Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E.

In summary, a dead body was found in a downtown warehouse in Florida on February 15th, after a very unpleasant Valentine's Day. The temperature in the warehouse fluctuates according to the function T(t)= 63-12sin(∏t/12), where t=0 corresponds to midnight on any given day. The body was discovered at 1:30 am and its initial temperature was 73 degrees F. Two hours later, the temperature was 68 degrees F. By using the equation dT/dt- kT= 63k+ 12ksin(\pi t/12) and solving for the variables A and k, we can determine the time of death of the body.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

after a very unpleasant valentine's Day, a dead body was found in a downtown warehouse that had no heating or air conditioning. it was February in Florida and we know that the daily temperature in the warehouse fluctuates according to the function T(t)= 63-12sin(∏t/12), where t=0 corresponds to midnight on any given day. The body was discovered at 1:30 am on Feb. 15 and its temperature was 73 degrees F. Two hours later the temperature was 68 degrees F. What was the time of death of this body?

Homework Equations

dT/dt = k (T - T(m))

[exp(at)(-BcosBt + asinBt)]/a^2+b^2

where k is the proportionality constant T is temperature and T(m) is the medium of the environment surrounding the object.

The Attempt at a Solution

i set up my differential as dT/dt - kT - 63k = 12ksin(∏t/12)

after doing the integrating factor method and using the equation to solve the integration i got some huge formula for T

then i rescaled the time so i could solve for C and k ... for C i got

C= 73+ (144∏k)/(144k^2+∏^2)

after that i tried to solve for k but it honestly looks impossible and I'm not sure how to do it
if someone could help me out or at least check my work so far i would greatly appreciate it...this problem seems close to impossible

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a 100% sure as I've never solved one with a separate function for ambient air temperature but maybe you need to sub T(t)=63-12sin(∏t/12) into Newtons formula rather than equal to it.

I think the formula should be dT/dt = k [T - {63-12sin(∏t/12)}] where T is the initial temperature given by T(0) = 63.

So dT/dt = k(12sin(∏t/12))

and solve that ?

Last edited:
You should not separate the "63k" and "[itex]12ksin(\pi t/12)[/itex]":
[tex]dT/dt- kT= 63k+ 12ksin(\pi t/12)[/tex]

The associated homogeneous equation, dT/dt-kT= 0, has solution [itex]T= Ae^{kt}[/itex]. Now, look for a solution of the form [itex]B+ Csin(\pi t/12)+ Dcos(\pi t/12)[/itex]. Put that into the equation and solve for B, C, and D. Then put the entire solution into y(1.5)= 73 and y(3.5)= 68 to solve for A and k.

HallsofIvy said:
You should not separate the "63k" and "[itex]12ksin(\pi t/12)[/itex]":
[tex]dT/dt- kT= 63k+ 12ksin(\pi t/12)[/tex]

The associated homogeneous equation, dT/dt-kT= 0, has solution [itex]T= Ae^{kt}[/itex]. Now, look for a solution of the form [itex]B+ Csin(\pi t/12)+ Dcos(\pi t/12)[/itex]. Put that into the equation and solve for B, C, and D. Then put the entire solution into y(1.5)= 73 and y(3.5)= 68 to solve for A and k.

ok i see, I'm going to redo it that way, no wonder i was getting nowhere with the way i did it, thanks!

Related to Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E.

1. What is Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E.?

Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E. (differential equation) is a mathematical model that describes the rate at which an object's temperature changes in relation to the surrounding temperature. It is an extension of the traditional Newton's Law of Cooling, which assumes a constant ambient temperature.

2. How is Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E. different from traditional Newton's Law of Cooling?

Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E. takes into account the extreme variations in ambient temperature that can occur, whereas traditional Newton's Law of Cooling only considers a constant ambient temperature. This makes it a more accurate model for objects that may experience large fluctuations in temperature, such as in space or deep underwater.

3. What factors does Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E. take into account?

Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E. takes into account the initial temperature of the object, the surrounding temperature, and the rate at which the object's temperature changes over time (also known as its cooling rate).

4. How is Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E. used in scientific research and applications?

Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E. is used to model and predict the temperature changes of objects in various environments, such as in space exploration, industrial processes, and climate research. It is also used to design and optimize cooling systems for electronic devices and other technologies.

5. What are the limitations of Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E.?

Extreme Newton's Law of Cooling D.E. is a simplified model and may not accurately represent the cooling behavior of complex systems. It also assumes that the object being cooled is a single uniform material, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors that can affect temperature, such as wind or radiation.