Extrema of electrical potential

In summary, the electric field must be zero at the point (0, 1, 0) because the potential energy is zero there.
FS98

Homework Statement

A charge of 2 C is located at the origin. Two charges of −1 C each are located at the points (1, 1, 0) and (−1, 1, 0). If the potential φ is taken to be zero at infinity (as usual), then it is easy to see that φ is also zero at the point (0, 1, 0). It follows that somewhere on the y-axis beyond (0, 1, 0) the function φ (0, y, 0) must have a minimum or a maximum. At that point the electric field E must be zero. Why? Locate the point, at least approximately.

Homework Equations

φ = kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

φ = 2k/y - 2k/sqrt(2-y)

The sqrt(2-y) comes from finding the distance between a given point on the y-axis and a particle through the Pythagorean theorom. The -2 coming from the fact that there are two negative charges with a magnitude of 1.

Then I took the derivative

dφ/dy = 2k(1/y^2-(1/2(2-y)^(3/2))

Set that equal to 0 and do some rearranging and crossing out.

y^2 = -2(2-y)^(3/2)

If I’ve done everything right up to this point, I don’t know how to solve for y in the final step.

Physics news on Phys.org
FS98 said:
The sqrt(2-y) comes from finding the distance between a given point on the y-axis and a particle through the Pythagorean theorom.
Note that sqrt(2-y) = 0 when y = 2. Does that seem right?

Likes FS98
TSny said:
Note that sqrt(2-y) = 0 when y = 2. Does that seem right?
I did the trig over and got sqrt(y^2-2y+2) for the distance between a given value of y and the -1C particles.

After doing the rearranging again I have

y^2 = -2(y^2-2y+2)

Which I’m still unsure how to solve.

FS98 said:
I did the trig over and got sqrt(y^2-2y+2) for the distance between a given value of y and the -1C particles.
OK. That looks right.

After doing the rearranging again I have

y^2 = -2(y^2-2y+2)

Which I’m still unsure how to solve.
I don't understand how you got this equation.

TSny said:
OK. That looks right.

I don't understand how you got this equation.
I think I differentiated incorrectly. I have

2k(1/y-(1/sqrt(y^2-2y+2)) for the potential energy.

I think the derivative is then
2k((2*y-2)/(2*(y^2-2*y+2)^(3/2))-1/y^2)

I’m not sure where to go from there.

FS98 said:
I think I differentiated incorrectly. I have

2k(1/y-(1/sqrt(y^2-2y+2)) for the potential energy.

I think the derivative is then
2k((2*y-2)/(2*(y^2-2*y+2)^(3/2))-1/y^2)
OK. I think that's right.

I’m not sure where to go from there.
As you noted in your first post, you should set this equal to zero and solve for y. I believe you will only be able to get an approximate solution by using some numerical technique or by using a graph.

Related to Extrema of electrical potential

1. What is an extrema of electrical potential?

An extrema of electrical potential refers to the maximum or minimum value that an electrical potential can reach within a given system. It is the point at which the potential energy of a charged particle is either at its highest or lowest.

2. How are extrema of electrical potential calculated?

Extrema of electrical potential can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles, such as Coulomb's Law, which describes the relationship between the distance and magnitude of charges, and the concept of electric potential energy.

3. What factors affect the extrema of electrical potential?

The extrema of electrical potential can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude and distribution of charges, the distance between charges, and the dielectric constant of the material in which the charges are located.

4. Why are extrema of electrical potential important in science?

Extrema of electrical potential play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of charged particles in various systems, such as atoms, molecules, and electric circuits. They also help in the design and optimization of electronic devices and technologies.

5. Can extrema of electrical potential be measured in real-world scenarios?

Yes, extrema of electrical potential can be measured using instruments such as voltmeters and oscilloscopes. These measurements provide valuable information about the distribution and behavior of charges in a given system.