Extracting Magnesium and Sodium in the Home

In summary, to extract Na from NaCl, it will require a lot of energy, but it can be done. You could also make magnesium sulfate and sodium metal on your own, but it would be more work than it is worth.
itsjustme
Is there any way that i can extract magnessium from magnessium sulfate and sodium metal from salt Inside the house.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
To exactract Na from NaCl, it will require a lt of energy, but it can be done.
A common was to do it is to melt the salt (NaCl) ad then pass an electric current through the liquid, breaking it apart into Na metal and Cl2 gas. However, since NaCl is an ionic compound, it has a high melting point, 801 degrees C (1474 degrees F), and this is not easily (or safely) achieved in the common home. Not to mention the electrical energy required to split it up and the fact that your producing chlorine gas in your house.
So this is probably not an inside activity to say the least.

MgSO4 is an ionic compount too, so the same set of dificulties apply. I suppose you could use the electrolytic method of breaking apart the compound, but the problem is that Magnesium Sulfate melts at an even higher temperature than NaCl (1124 degree C).

Mg is relitively easy to obtain without making it yourself, but Sodium Metal, not so much.
Using NaOH instead of NaCl makes the process easier to electrolytically produce sodium metal, but it is still not a good thing to do inside or without the proper safety precautions.

Magnesium Sulfate melts at an even higher temperature than NaCl (1124 degree C).
Actually magnesium sulfate decomposes at 1124C into sulfur trioxide and magnesium oxide. So you'll be working with the oxide which has a much higher melting point of 2800C.

Electrolysis of molten magnesium hydroxide would be a better bet. As stated above, there's no real reason (other than for fun) to do this because magnesium can be commonly found (try firestarters).

Commericially, most reactive metals are derived from the fused chlorides (NaCl, MgCl2), but this can hardly be performed at home. The melting point of NaCl can be reduced significantly by forming a eutectic with CaCl2. Still, I would not try this. Chlorine may be fine to handle in the lab at room temperature, but I would NOT want to have to deal with it at 600+ C!

Sodium hydroxide here would give you the best shot. If you DO manage to do this successfully you'll have flying burning molten metal on your hands which is quite dangerous to say the least.

The melting point of NaCl can be reduced significantly by forming a eutectic with CaCl2.

how much degrees are we talking about here? :smile:

To around 600 C. Significant for an industrial operation but not for the home chemist. :frown: Compare that with NaOH's melting point of 318C.

2 questions. will CaCl2 lower the melting point of Magnessium sulfate and Is there any way to manufacture NaOH at home?

You sure like to do things the hard way don't you, making your own NaOH.Not that I can blame you, I have been known to do this too all to often.
But NaOH is even easier to get than Mg, it is sold as "lye" in the form of drain cleaner.
You could, possible (I am not sure), make it electrolytically, but even if true, it would be much much more trouble than it is worth.

The lowest mixtures for magnesium sulfate that I could find did not involve CaCl2, but were:
K2SO4-MgSO4-Na2SO4 31%-29%-40% 634 C
MgCl2-MgSO4 81%-19% 657 C
Ya so basically forget about making magnesium from magnesium sulfate. But, you could react MgSO4 with that NaOH that you want to make :smile:, and make magnesium from the resulting Mg(OH)2 precipitate which melts at 350C. I might just try this sometime for fun. (Note: you can also buy a suspended solution of Mg(OH)2 as a laxative)

Now for your NaOH...

1) Where do you live? In the U.S. there are tons of drain cleaners and other cleaning products that are either pure NaOH or a solution of it. This would definently be your best source.

2) You could make it by reacting quicklime (CaO) with baking soda (NaHCO3).
CaO + H2O --> Ca(OH)2
Filter out any excess CaO.
Ca(OH)2 + NaHCO3 --> NaOH + H2O + CaCO3(s)
Filter out CaCO3.

3) Industrially, NaOH is made by elecyrolysis of NaCl with special membranes (see chloro-alkali process).

mrjeffy321 said:
Not that I can blame you, I have been known to do this too all to often
The more things you can make on your own, the more rewarding the whole process seems when you finally reach your goal :biggrin: .

Related to Extracting Magnesium and Sodium in the Home

1. How can I extract magnesium and sodium from household items?

Both magnesium and sodium can be extracted from common household items such as epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and table salt (sodium chloride). These substances can be heated to high temperatures, causing them to decompose and release the desired elements.

2. What equipment do I need to extract magnesium and sodium at home?

To extract these elements, you will need a heat source, such as a stove or Bunsen burner, and a heat-resistant container, such as a ceramic crucible. You may also need a mortar and pestle to crush the household items into a fine powder.

3. Is it safe to extract magnesium and sodium in the home?

While the extraction process itself may not be inherently dangerous, the high temperatures and use of potentially hazardous chemicals may pose a safety risk. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear, such as goggles and gloves.

4. What are some common uses for magnesium and sodium?

Magnesium is commonly used in the production of alloys, such as aluminum-magnesium alloys, which are used in the manufacturing of airplanes and cars. Sodium is a key component in many household products, such as soap and baking soda, and is also used in the production of glass, paper, and textiles.

5. Can I extract other elements at home using similar methods?

Yes, there are many other elements that can be extracted at home using similar methods, such as carbon from charcoal and copper from pennies. However, it is important to research and understand the proper safety procedures and potential risks before attempting to extract any elements at home.