Extracting Energy from Cosmic Expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cosmic expansion and its potential effects, specifically whether it is possible to extract energy from this expansion. The participants also discuss the potential violation of conservation of energy in this scenario. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that while energy extraction may be possible, it would be negligible and the laws of thermodynamics would not be violated.
Shovel
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything satisfactory with a quick search. I realize there is another thread on here regarding conservation of energy with respect to expansion, but my question sort of takes a different direction; can you create energy from this effect?

I'll start with explaining my understanding of cosmology, so if any of my assumptions are incorrect please feel free to point that out. It is my interpretation that cosmic expansion is caused by space being continuously "inserted" between any two objects, with the amount/rate of "new" space created being proportional to the proper distance between said objects. Naturally this would cause any two objects that are not bound by the fundamental forces to drift apart exponentially. It is my understanding that this effect is independent of GR and conservation of energy, which would explain how it is possible for distant galaxies to be receding from ours at speeds faster than c, how the radius of the OU is greater than c * T, and how energy lost from redshifted photons is not conserved. For my question I'm assuming that this expansion is constant with respect to time and roughly uniform with respect to space.

Consider a sizeable galaxy that has no gravitationally bound local group. After some eons, all nearby galaxies will have receded beyond the Hubble length and are thus forever unreachable. Some time after that, the last photon (or other fast particle) that will ever arrive from outside the galaxy strikes a space rock or something and the galaxy is now effectively its own universe from the point of view of anything in it. As the galaxy slowly suffers heat death, the local inhabitants decide they don't want to die a slow, painful death from corporate downsizing. They then attempt to engineer a device that extracts energy from the expansion of space so that they can do pod racing forever or slowly construct a whole new universe or whatever. Is this possible?

My guess is yes, but I'm not sure of the math of it. Imagine a cannon that is aimed away from the center of the galaxy (out into the void) and fired, with the cannonball leaving the barrel with less velocity than required to escape the galaxy forever. It should thus eventually fall back into the galaxy, and according to the conventional rules should arrive back with the same velocity that it left with. But if space is inserted between the moving cannonball and the galaxy, the apex of its flight should be further away than would normally be expected. Shouldn't this cause the ball to have increased potential energy at the apex, and thus when it arrives back in the galaxy, have more kinetic energy than it left with? The total mass-energy of the galaxy (which is well-defined and finite) will have been increased and the laws of thermodynamics will have been locally violated.

Now, I have to be mistaken somewhere, seeing as I have never read or heard about this possibility anywhere, just gloom-and-doom about inevitable heat death of local groups. What am I missing?

Space news on Phys.org
Even IF this resulted in more kinetic energy, the amount would be so small as to be useless. Since the cannonball is gravitationally bound, the expansion of space will have very very very little effect on it. Also remember that on a galactic scale, the expansion of space is extremely small for something the size of a galaxy. It takes distances equal to millions upon millions of light years and more for the expansion to become very noticeable.

Conservation of energy is broken whether the amount is 1 Joule or 10^-100 Joules.
Laws must be obeyed or they are broken, simple as that.

Tanelorn said:
Conservation of energy is broken whether the amount is 1 Joule or 10^-100 Joules.
Laws must be obeyed or they are broken, simple as that.
Conservation of energy is not exactly broken so much as inapplicable in cosmology. There is no way to define the total stress-energy-momentum of the universe so there is no way for it to be a conserved quantity.
Shovel said:
But if space is inserted between the moving cannonball and the galaxy, the apex of its flight should be further away than would normally be expected. Shouldn't this cause the ball to have increased potential energy at the apex, and thus when it arrives back in the galaxy, have more kinetic energy than it left with? The total mass-energy of the galaxy (which is well-defined and finite) will have been increased and the laws of thermodynamics will have been locally violated.
For an isolated system such as the one you describe, the total energy is http://arxiv.org/pdf/0705.0484")).

Last edited by a moderator:
A law broken without consequences is a judicial opinion, not law.

Related to Extracting Energy from Cosmic Expansion

1. What is cosmic expansion?

Cosmic expansion is the observed phenomenon of the universe expanding over time. This means that the distances between galaxies and other celestial objects are increasing.

2. How is energy extracted from cosmic expansion?

Energy can be extracted from cosmic expansion through various processes such as gravitational waves, vacuum energy, and dark energy. These processes involve harnessing the energy generated by the expansion of the universe.

3. Can energy extraction from cosmic expansion be used as a renewable energy source?

It is currently not feasible to use energy extracted from cosmic expansion as a renewable energy source. The amount of energy that can be extracted is relatively small and the technology to harness it is not yet developed.

4. What are the potential benefits of extracting energy from cosmic expansion?

If we are able to successfully extract and harness energy from cosmic expansion, it could provide a virtually limitless source of energy for our civilization. It could also potentially lead to advancements in our understanding of the universe and its expansion.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to extracting energy from cosmic expansion?

At this point, there is no evidence to suggest any potential risks or drawbacks to extracting energy from cosmic expansion. However, as with any new technology, there may be unforeseen consequences that need to be carefully considered before implementing it on a large scale.