Extimation of displacement in Frontal plane from sagital plane

In summary, the conversation pertains to a research project involving recording videos of subjects walking on a treadmill from both frontal and sagittal planes. The researcher is using a 10cm long calibration marker on the back of the subject to calculate the displacement of the center of mass during walking, but faces difficulty due to subjects not walking on the same spot on the treadmill. One suggestion is to choose a point on the torso and subtract the horizontal distance from that point to the control point to account for movement. This would allow for calculating the displacement of the center of mass from a fixed point on the torso using only one camera recording frontal movements.
btd
estimation of displacement in Frontal plane from sagital plane

Hello everybody,
I hope I am posting this under right topic.
I am running a research project and we are recording videos of subjects from both frontal (back) and saggital (side) plane while they are walking on the treadmill.
I put 10cm long calibration marker on the back of the subject. This way, when I analyze the video recording I can calculate how much center of mass displaced during walking. But the problem is subjects do not walk on the same spot on the treadmill all the time. They go front and back and this makes my 10 cm, 8cm or 12cm (estimation) on the recording
I am just wondering if I measure the displacement from saggital recording, can this help to calculate how much it makes change on 10 cm in frontal recording.

or is there a another way?
Thanks
Tanner

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you choose some point on the torso and subtract off the horizontal distance from that point to your control point to correct for movement of the torso.

(But if you are measuring from a marker on the back of the subject, that should already allow for movement of the body.)

Thanks a lot for your answer,
Actually, what I am trying to do is calculating the displacement of center of mass (located at S2 vertebrae) from a fixed point on the torso with just one camera recording frontal movements.

Would you explain what you mean by saying "subtract off the horizontal distance from that point to your control point"?

I really appreciate your help

Cheers

Related to Extimation of displacement in Frontal plane from sagital plane

What is "Extimation of displacement in Frontal plane from sagital plane"?

"Extimation of displacement in Frontal plane from sagital plane" is a scientific process used to estimate the displacement of an object or body in the frontal plane (i.e. side-to-side) based on its displacement in the sagittal plane (i.e. front-to-back).

Why is it important to estimate displacement in the frontal plane from the sagittal plane?

Estimating displacement in the frontal plane from the sagittal plane can provide important information about the movement and stability of an object or body in three-dimensional space. It can also help scientists better understand how forces and motions affect objects or bodies in different planes.

What factors can affect the accuracy of extimation of displacement in Frontal plane from sagital plane?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of this estimation process, including the shape and size of the object or body, the direction and magnitude of the displacement, and the methods and tools used to measure and analyze the data.

How is "Extimation of displacement in Frontal plane from sagital plane" typically performed?

This process is typically performed using mathematical equations and principles of physics, such as trigonometry and vector analysis. It may also involve the use of motion capture technology and specialized software to track and analyze the movement of objects or bodies in different planes.

What are some real-world applications of "Extimation of displacement in Frontal plane from sagital plane"?

This estimation process has many applications in fields such as biomechanics, sports science, and engineering. It can be used to analyze and improve the movements of athletes, design more efficient and stable structures, and understand how forces and motions affect objects or bodies in various scenarios.