Extending a uniformly cont function on an open interval to a closed interval?

In summary, if you can extend f to the endpoints of the interval J, then you can use the extreme value theorem to say that f attains a min and max value.
moxy

Homework Statement

Show that the function [itex]f: J → ℝ[/itex] is bounded if [itex]f[/itex] is uniformly continuous on the bounded interval J.

Homework Equations

J is a bounded interval, so say J = (a,b)

[itex]f[/itex] is uniformly continuous on J, so
[itex]\forall \epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that for [itex]s,t \in J = (a,b)[/itex]
[itex]|f(s) - f(t)| < \epsilon[/itex] whenever [itex]|s - t| < \delta[/itex]

[itex]f: J → ℝ[/itex] is bounded if there exists a real number M such that |f(x)| ≤ M for all x in J.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that if I can extend [itex]f[/itex] to the endpoints of J, then I can use the Extreme Value Theorem to say that [itex]f[/itex] attains a min and max value, i.e. is bounded. So I need to define [itex]f(a)[/itex] and [itex]f(b)[/itex].

[itex]f(a) = \lim_{n→∞}{f(a + \frac{1}{n})}[/itex]
[itex]f(b) = \lim_{n→∞}{f(b - \frac{1}{n})}[/itex]

Where clearly [itex]f[/itex] is defined on [itex][a + \frac{1}{n}, b - \frac{1}{n}][/itex] for all [itex]n \in ℕ[/itex]

Am I on the right track? I don't feel like I've used the fact that [itex]f[/itex] is uniformly continuous on J. Is it because [itex]f[/itex] is uniformly continuous that I'm able to define [itex]f(a)[/itex] and [itex]f(b)[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to do this more simply. The idea is to pick x1,...,xn such that every x in J is "close" to one of these xi. This plus uniform continuity will give you what you want.

But I only know that J is bounded, not that it's closed and bounded. So can't I only say that J = (a,b) and not necessarily J = [a,b]? So I don't immediately know if f is defined at a or b, much less if it's continuous at a and b.

Okay, nevermind, you changed your post. So... I should define a sequence of, say, rational numbers {xn}, where all xi are in J, such that [itex]lim_{n->∞}{\{x_n\}} = a[/itex] ?

And similarly, {yn}, where all yi are in J, such that [itex]lim_{n->∞}{\{y_n\}} = b[/itex] ?

I think that I'm able to do this, but I don't see how it gets me any closer to showing that f is bounded.

EDIT:

I guess I can say that

[itex]lim_{n->∞}{f(x_n)} = f(a)[/itex]
[itex]lim_{n->∞}{f(y_n)} = f(b)[/itex]

So f is defined on [a,b]. Do I still have to show it's continuous at a and b to use the extreme value theorem? I don't see how this approach is simpler or much different than the one in my original post.

Last edited:

Related to Extending a uniformly cont function on an open interval to a closed interval?

1. What is the importance of extending a uniformly continuous function on an open interval to a closed interval?

Extending a uniformly continuous function on an open interval to a closed interval is important because it allows us to study the behavior of the function beyond the given interval. It also helps us to make more accurate predictions and calculations for the function.

2. How do you extend a uniformly continuous function on an open interval to a closed interval?

To extend a uniformly continuous function on an open interval to a closed interval, you can use a theorem known as the "Uniform Continuity Theorem". This theorem states that if a function is uniformly continuous on an open interval, then it can be extended to a closed interval by defining the value of the function at the endpoints of the interval as the limit of the function as it approaches those endpoints.

3. Can any uniformly continuous function on an open interval be extended to a closed interval?

Yes, any uniformly continuous function on an open interval can be extended to a closed interval. This is because the Uniform Continuity Theorem applies to all uniformly continuous functions on an open interval.

4. Is there a specific method for extending a uniformly continuous function on an open interval to a closed interval?

No, there is no specific method for extending a uniformly continuous function on an open interval to a closed interval. The method may vary depending on the given function and interval. However, the Uniform Continuity Theorem is a commonly used approach for extension.

5. What are the potential benefits of extending a uniformly continuous function on an open interval to a closed interval?

Extending a uniformly continuous function on an open interval to a closed interval can provide a more complete understanding of the function's behavior and can allow for more accurate calculations and predictions. It can also help in proving certain properties of the function, such as continuity or differentiability, on the closed interval.