Expression for volume as a function of pressure

In summary, when pressure is applied to a liquid, its volume decreases. The volume is equal to the product of the pressure and the isothermal compressibility.
chickymd

Homework Statement

When pressure is applied to a liquid, its volume decreases. Assuming that the isothermal compressibility κ=-1/V(δV/δP) is independent of pressure, derive an expression for the volume as a function of pressure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start, but I know the answer should be V2=V1 exp[-κ(P2-P1)].

Physics news on Phys.org
chickymd said:

Homework Statement

When pressure is applied to a liquid, its volume decreases. Assuming that the isothermal compressibility κ=-1/V(δV/δP) is independent of pressure, derive an expression for the volume as a function of pressure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start, but I know the answer should be V2=V1 exp[-κ(P2-P1)].
Start out by solving your equation for dV/dP.

δV/δP=-κV

I'm not sure what to do now.

chickymd said:
δV/δP=-κV

I'm not sure what to do now.
Have you learned how to solve a differential equation like this by separation of variables or by integrating factor?

No, I haven't taken differential equations.

chickymd said:
No, I haven't taken differential equations.
Have you learned how to integrate dV/V?

No, I haven't.

chickymd said:
No, I haven't.
Do you know what the derivative of ln(x) with respect to x is equal to?

It's 1/x

chickymd said:
It's 1/x
OK. This is where we start.
If [tex]\frac{dln(x)}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
then
[tex]dln(x)=\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
Is this OK with you so far?

Yes, I'm following.
Does that mean dV/V=dln(V)?

-κV=δV/δP
-κδP=δV/V=δln(V)

I can get this far, but I don't know how to solve it now.

chickymd said:
-κV=δV/δP
-κδP=δV/V=δln(V)

I can get this far, but I don't know how to solve it now.

Do I just integrate both sides from 1 to 2?
∫(from 1 to 2) -κδP=∫(from 1 to 2) δln(V)
-κ(P2-P1)=ln(V2)-ln(V1)=ln(V2/V1)
V2/V1=e^(-κ(P2-P1))
V2=V1=e^(-κ(P2-P1))

Is this correct?

chickymd said:
Do I just integrate both sides from 1 to 2?
∫(from 1 to 2) -κδP=∫(from 1 to 2) δln(V)
-κ(P2-P1)=ln(V2)-ln(V1)=ln(V2/V1)
V2/V1=e^(-κ(P2-P1))
V2=V1=e^(-κ(P2-P1))

Is this correct?
Excellent job! Just get rid of that extra equal sign in the last equation.

Thanks for the help (and for catching my typo).

Related to Expression for volume as a function of pressure

1. What is the expression for volume as a function of pressure?

The expression for volume as a function of pressure is V = k/P, where V is the volume and P is the pressure. The constant k depends on the specific conditions of the system, such as temperature and number of moles.

2. How is the expression for volume as a function of pressure derived?

The expression for volume as a function of pressure is derived from the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. By rearranging this equation, we can derive the expression V = k/P.

3. What are the units of the constant k in the expression for volume as a function of pressure?

The units of the constant k depend on the units used for pressure and volume. For example, if pressure is measured in atmospheres and volume in liters, then the units of k will be liters atmospheres. However, if pressure is measured in pascals and volume in cubic meters, then the units of k will be cubic meters pascals.

4. Can the expression for volume as a function of pressure be used for all types of gases?

No, the expression for volume as a function of pressure is only valid for ideal gases. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures, so the expression may not accurately predict the volume of a real gas under these conditions.

5. How does the expression for volume as a function of pressure relate to Boyle's Law?

The expression for volume as a function of pressure is essentially the mathematical representation of Boyle's Law, which states that at a constant temperature, the volume of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. This can be seen in the expression V = k/P, where as pressure increases, volume decreases and vice versa.