Expressing y(t) including the effects of air resistance & gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle in a gravitational field and air resistance. The goal is to show the position of the particle at any given time, which can be expressed as ##y(t)= \frac 1b (v_0+ \frac gb)(1-e^{-bt})- \frac gb t##. The conversation also includes attempts at a solution and discussions on integrating and taking limits correctly. Eventually, the mistake is identified and the correct solution is obtained.
Cooojan

Homework Statement

[/B]
Hi everyone! So I've got this similar problem as I posted yesterday, but this one
is slightly different due to the presence of gravity:

A particle in gravitational field ##~~g##
starts traveling upward (positive direction) along the y-axis from ##~~y=0##
with the initial speed ##~~v_0≠0~~##,
where it faces air resistance ##~~F_R##

##F_R = -mbv~~~~## (where ##~v~## is the speed of the particle)

I have to show that the position of particle at any time can be expressed as following:

##y(t)= \frac 1b (v_0+ \frac gb)(1-e^{-bt})- \frac gb t##

Homework Equations

## \frac{dv}{dt}+bv = -g ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I found out that the expression for speed of the particle in this case is:

##v(y) = \frac 1b(b(v_0)e^{-bt}+ge^{-bt}-g))~~~~## (I believe this should be correct)

Further:

## v=\frac{dy}{dt} ~~~~⇒~~~~dy=v~dt~~~~⇒~~~~ \int \,dy= \int_0^t v\,dt ~~~~## (unsure if I've taken limits correctly)

When I do this integration, what I get - is something that somehow reminds of solution,
which I was suppose to come to:

Iget:

##y(t)= \frac1b(v_0)(1-e^{-bt}) + g- e^{-bt} - \frac gbt ##

when I should get:

##y(t)= \frac1b(v_0+ \frac gb )(1-e^{-bt}) - \frac gbt ##

If someone could point out what exactly am I doing wrong, would be awesome!
Also if you can comment on if I'm taking limits correctly.
In this case it doesn't really metter, I guess, but generally speaking - should I take same integration limits on both sides or not?
(as with: ##~~ \int \,dy= \int_0^t v\,dt ~~##)##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Thanx~a~lot !
~~##

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cooojan said:
FR=−mbv F_R = -mbv~~~~ (where v ~v~ is the speed of the particle)
Just to clarify, you are given that the retarding force due to air resistance is proportional to the object's mass? That doesn't seem correct...

No no! Its proportional to particles speed. Acceleration would then be equal to "-bv"
As you can see further below - mass is not mentioned anywhere else in equations

You made a mistake when integrating. The integral of eat is very easy to get wrong by mistake. I also think you dropped a g somewhere.
You can also look at the units too see which terms are wrong. y(t) = g + ... can't be right.

20171020_191933.jpg

Attachments

• 20171020_191933.jpg
    20171020_191933.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 300
! Oh !
I forgot to mention that originaly, this was a 2D problem, so that is why I'm using ##v_0~sinθ## in my calculations on paper,
and not just ##v_0##, as I did in my post.
But I already solved for x-axis, so I didnt want u guys to think of any unnecessities, while helping me out.
So I just turned the whole thing into a 1d problem. I hope u don't mind. :)
And also I used ##b## instead of ##α##, just so it would be faster for me to write it down in ##LaTeX##.

So that's what I did to get there...
I still can't get this right. If u have any suggestions, u r more then welcome to share))
Many thanx!

Cooojan said:
So that's what I did to get there...
I still can't get this right. If u have any suggestions, u r more then welcome to share))
Many thanx!

You're nearly there. The 1/a factors are ok now, but you forgot to multiply both terms with g here.

upload_2017-10-22_11-3-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-22_11-2-50.png
    upload_2017-10-22_11-2-50.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 485
  • upload_2017-10-22_11-3-10.png
    upload_2017-10-22_11-3-10.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 494
  • upload_2017-10-22_11-3-23.png
    upload_2017-10-22_11-3-23.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 798
Likes Cooojan
willem2 said:
You're nearly there. The 1/a factors are ok now, but you forgot to multiply both terms with g here.

View attachment 213529
True story, my fault! Thank u)) How didnt I see this??
Was pretty close and even checked thrue integration several times... Now I got it right! Cant thank you enough))))))))))

Related to Expressing y(t) including the effects of air resistance & gravity

What is the equation for the motion of an object with air resistance and gravity?

The equation for the motion of an object with air resistance and gravity can be written as y(t) = y0 + v0t - (g/2)t2 - (k/m)v02(1 - e-2ty), where y(t) is the position of the object at time t, y0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, k is the air resistance coefficient, and m is the mass of the object.

How does air resistance affect the motion of an object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid (such as air). This force increases with the speed of the object and can significantly affect the trajectory and velocity of an object, causing it to slow down and eventually reach a terminal velocity. The equation for air resistance in the motion equation takes into account the velocity of the object and the air resistance coefficient.

What is the role of gravity in the motion of an object?

Gravity is a fundamental force that pulls objects towards each other. In the case of an object moving through the air, gravity pulls the object towards the ground, causing it to accelerate downwards. This acceleration due to gravity is typically represented by the letter "g" in equations and has a constant value of 9.8 m/s2 on Earth.

How do you determine the initial position and velocity of an object in motion?

The initial position and velocity of an object can be determined by measuring its starting point and its initial speed. For example, if an object is thrown from a height of 10 meters with an initial speed of 5 m/s, the initial position (y0) would be 10 meters and the initial velocity (v0) would be 5 m/s. These values are important in the motion equation, as they dictate the starting point and direction of the object's motion.

What is the significance of the air resistance coefficient in the motion equation?

The air resistance coefficient (k) is a measure of how air resistance affects the motion of an object. It takes into account factors such as the shape and surface area of the object, as well as the density of the air. A higher air resistance coefficient means that air resistance will have a greater impact on the object's motion, causing it to slow down more quickly. This coefficient can vary depending on the object and the conditions it is moving through.