Expressing the limits of integration for radius in polar coordinates

The ##\theta## bounds are simply 0 and ##2\pi##. In summary, when trying to integrate a function bounded by the x-y domain of x2+y2=6y, you can use a double integral with polar coordinates and the bounds of r being a simple polar equation and theta being 0 and 2pi.
iScience
i'm trying to integrate some some function bounded by the x-y domain of x2+y2=6y

which is a circle on the x-y plane shifted upward where the outer part of the circle is 6.

i'm trying to integrate a double integral.. ∫∫f(x)rdrdθ

i don't know how to express my limits of integration for r.

the only thing i can think of is going from 3 to 6 but then this means that i have a radius three units long going to a radius of 6 units long. what I'm looking for is a radius 0 units long to radius 3 units long, i just need this shifted up 3 units. how do i express my limits of integration for the r component?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can choose the origin of he polar system of coordinates at (0,3), and change the variable y to u=y-3 in the integrand.

ehild

You don't need to shift the origin. Write the equation ##x^2+y^2=6y## in polar coordinates to get a simple polar equation in the form ##r = f(\theta)##, which will give you the ##r## bounds.

Last edited:

Related to Expressing the limits of integration for radius in polar coordinates

1. What are the limits of integration for radius in polar coordinates?

The limits of integration for radius in polar coordinates can vary depending on the specific problem or region of interest. Generally, the lower limit will be the origin (r=0) and the upper limit will be the outermost boundary of the region.

2. How do I express the limits of integration for radius in polar coordinates?

The limits of integration for radius in polar coordinates are typically expressed as r = a and r = b, where a and b are the lower and upper limits, respectively. These values can be determined by analyzing the given region or by setting up the integral in terms of the polar coordinates.

3. Can the limits of integration for radius be negative in polar coordinates?

No, the limits of integration for radius in polar coordinates must be positive values. This is because the radius represents the distance from the origin, which cannot be negative.

4. How do the limits of integration for radius differ from those in Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, the limits of integration for radius (i.e. x) can be both positive and negative, depending on the region of integration. However, in polar coordinates, the limits of integration for radius are always positive values, as mentioned before.

5. Can the limits of integration for radius be different for each quadrant in polar coordinates?

Yes, it is possible for the limits of integration for radius to be different for each quadrant in polar coordinates. This is because the shape and boundaries of the region may differ in each quadrant, thus affecting the values of the limits.