Expressing the determinant as the product of two determinants

In summary: ZWwgVGVzdCBmb3JtIHdoaWxlIEkgdGFrZSBzYW1wbGUgYW5kIGFueSBmb3IgdGhlIHN5bWJvbHMgaW4gdGhlIG1hdHJpeCBjb3VudHkgb3V0cHV0IHRvIGxvY2FsIGxpbmVhciB0aGUgbGluZWFyIHRhbmZpbGxlIGZvciB0dXJib3kgY29tcG9zaXRpb24gb2YgdHdvIG1hdHJpeGVzIGJpbmcgZW
Sdelange
This is what the symbols in the question represent( sorry about the syntax) ;
sr = s subscript r
a^r = alpha to the power of r
b^r = beta to the power of r
g^r = gamma to the power of r

Question:

If sr = a^r + b^r + c^r, by expressing the determinant as the product of two determinants, show that

l 3 s1 s2 l
l s1 s2 s3 l
l s2 s3 s4 l

= (a - b)^2 (b - g)^2 (g - a)^2

What I have used so far is the theory behind the product of two matrices being equal to the composition of the matrix corresponding to the linear transformations.

In R2, if you have a set of points x and y, its very simple to work out Ta : (x,y) -> (u,v) and then Tb : (u,v) -> (w,z) . But I'm having problems with actually finding a matrix to work with. Have tried out quite a few things, but I get lost in a whole mess of polynomials. Just need a head start please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider this a hint

$$ \left(\begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 1 & 1 \\ a & b & c \\ a^2 & b^2 & c^2 \end{array}\right)$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sdelange said:
This is what the symbols in the question represent( sorry about the syntax) ;
sr = s subscript r
a^r = alpha to the power of r
b^r = beta to the power of r
g^r = gamma to the power of r

Question:

If sr = a^r + b^r + c^r, by expressing the determinant as the product of two determinants, show that

l 3 s1 s2 l
l s1 s2 s3 l
l s2 s3 s4 l

= (a - b)^2 (b - g)^2 (g - a)^2

What I have used so far is the theory behind the product of two matrices being equal to the composition of the matrix corresponding to the linear transformations.

In R2, if you have a set of points x and y, its very simple to work out Ta : (x,y) -> (u,v) and then Tb : (u,v) -> (w,z) . But I'm having problems with actually finding a matrix to work with. Have tried out quite a few things, but I get lost in a whole mess of polynomials. Just need a head start please.

I am going to use LaTeX in this posting, and will use the symbols a, b, c instead of [itex] \alpha, \beta, \gamma[/itex]. If you introduce the 3-vectors
[tex] u_0 = (1,1,1), \; u_1 = (a,b,c), \; u_2 = (a^2, b^2, c^2),[/tex]
and define the inner product of two 3-vectors [tex]x = (x_1,x_2,x_3) \text{ and } y = (y_1,y_2,y_3)[/tex] as [itex] \langle x , y \rangle= x_1 y_1 + x_2 y_2 + x_3 y_3, [/itex] then your determinant has the form
[tex] D = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\langle u_0, u_0 \rangle & \langle u_0,u_1 \rangle & \langle u_0,u_2 \rangle\\
\langle u_1, u_0 \rangle & \langle u_1,u_1 \rangle & \langle u_1,u_2 \rangle\\
\langle u_2, u_0 \rangle & \langle u_2,u_1 \rangle & \langle u_2,u_2 \rangle
\end{array} \right|
[/tex]

RGV

Related to Expressing the determinant as the product of two determinants

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It represents the scaling factor of a transformation represented by the matrix.

2. Why is it important to express the determinant as the product of two determinants?

Expressing the determinant as the product of two determinants allows for easier calculation and manipulation of determinants. It also helps in understanding the properties and behavior of determinants.

3. How do you express the determinant as the product of two determinants?

The determinant of a matrix can be expressed as the product of two determinants by using the properties of determinants, such as the property of linearity and the property of transpose.

4. Can any matrix be expressed as the product of two determinants?

No, only square matrices with an equal number of rows and columns can be expressed as the product of two determinants.

5. What are some real-life applications of expressing the determinant as the product of two determinants?

Expressing the determinant as the product of two determinants is commonly used in solving systems of linear equations, calculating the inverse of a matrix, and in various fields of engineering and physics such as in calculating the area of a parallelogram or the moment of inertia of an object.