Express (x + 4)/(2x^2 + 3x + 1) - 2/(2x + 1)

• Thread starter CathyLou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core
In summary, Cathy asks for help with simplifying an expression and finding the inverse function. Another person suggests using the least common denominator and simplifying the expression further. Cathy thanks them for their help and understands the solution. Later, Cathy asks for help with finding the inverse function and solving an equation. Another person provides a suggestion for solving the equation. Cathy thanks them for their help and now has the answer.
CathyLou
Hi.

Could someone please help me with the following question? I would really appreciate it as I am really stuck.

Express (x + 4)/(2x^2 + 3x + 1) - 2/(2x + 1) as a single fraction in its simplest form.

I got that [(x + 4)(2x + 1) - 2(2x^2 + 3x + 1)]/(2x^2 + 3x + 1)(2x + 1)

= (-2x^2 + 3x + 2)/(x^2 + 3x + 1)(2x + 1) but I am not sure where to go from here.

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it make more sense to use the LEAST common denominator? Since x2+ 3x+ 1= (2x+1)(x+1) that IS a common denominator. You don't need to use the "2x+1" terrm twice. You have
[tex]\frac{x+4}{x^2+ 3x+ 1}- \frac{2(x+1)}{x^2+ 3x+ 1}[/tex]
That should be much simpler.

(In your last formula, you have dropped the "2" in "2x2+ 3x+ 1".)

Thanks so much for your help.

I understand now.

Cathy

Hi.

Could someone please help me with the following question?

f(x) = 3 - x^2, x>= 0.

(b) Sketch the graphs of y = f(x) and y = f^-1(x) on the same diagram.

I got that the inverse function of f is (3 - x)^(1/2) but I do cannot figure out how to draw it in comparison to f(x). Could someone please show me.

g(x) = 8/(3 - x), x cannot = 3.

(e) Solve the equation f^-1(x) = g(x).

I have no idea how to even start this last part.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Cathy

(e).
So, you have:

[tex]\sqrt{3-x}=\frac{8}{(3-x)}\to\sqrt{3-x}=\frac{8}{(\sqrt{3-x})^{2}}[/tex]

Does that help?

Thanks for your help.

I have the answer now.

Cathy

Related to Express (x + 4)/(2x^2 + 3x + 1) - 2/(2x + 1)

What is Core 3?

Core 3 is a term used in science to refer to the innermost layer or center of an object or structure. It can also refer to the third level or stage of a process or system.

Why is Core 3 important?

Core 3 plays a significant role in many scientific processes and systems. It often contains vital information or materials that are essential for the functioning of the larger structure or process.

What subjects are related to Core 3?

Core 3 can be related to a variety of subjects in science, including geology, biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is commonly found in the study of Earth's structure, the human body, chemical reactions, and technological systems.

How can I understand Core 3 better?

The best way to understand Core 3 is to study and familiarize yourself with the subject matter related to it. This can include reading textbooks, conducting experiments, and seeking guidance from experts in the field.

What are some real-life applications of Core 3?

Core 3 has many practical applications, such as in the exploration of Earth's inner layers, the development of medical treatments and technologies, and the creation of new materials and products. It is also essential in understanding and predicting natural phenomena, such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.