Express a wave function as a combination of spherical harmonics

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of obtaining specific measurements for L2 and Lz in a hydrogen atom, and the method of expressing the wave function in terms of spherical harmonics to calculate this probability.
mat8845

Homework Statement

An electron in a hydrogen atom is in a state described by the wave function:

ψ(r,θ,φ)=R(r)[cos(θ)+e(1+cos(θ))]

What is the probability that measurement of L2 will give 6ℏ2 and measurement of Lz will give ℏ?

Homework Equations

The spherical harmonics

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to express the part in (θ,φ) as a linear combination of spherical harmonics. Then I would normalize my wave function, and the coefficients would lead me to the probability I need.

My problem is to express ψ in terms of the spherical harmonics Ylm. Is there a general method to do so? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I would do it is by looking at [itex]\mathbf{L}^2|l \mspace{8mu} m> = \hbar^2 l(l+1) |l\mspace{8mu} m> [/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{L}_z |l \mspace{8mu}m> = \hbar m |l\mspace{8mu} m>[/itex]. And looking at a table of spherical harmonics. There is no need to normalize them since they are already normalized.

mat8845 said:

Homework Statement

An electron in a hydrogen atom is in a state described by the wave function:

ψ(r,θ,φ)=R(r)[cos(θ)+e(1+cos(θ))]

What is the probability that measurement of L2 will give 6ℏ2 and measurement of Lz will give ℏ?

Homework Equations

The spherical harmonics

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to express the part in (θ,φ) as a linear combination of spherical harmonics. Then I would normalize my wave function, and the coefficients would lead me to the probability I need.

My problem is to express ψ in terms of the spherical harmonics Ylm. Is there a general method to do so? Thanks.
You could find the projection of the angular part onto the state ##\vert l\ m \rangle## by calculating ##\langle l\ m \vert \psi\rangle##. Seems to be kind of a pain though. I'd just futz around with the spherical harmonics to find a linear combination that works. For example, the ##e^{i\phi}## part has to come from an m=1 state.

Related to Express a wave function as a combination of spherical harmonics

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum mechanical system that describes the state of a particle or system of particles. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain position or state.

2. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of solutions to the Schrödinger equation that describe the angular variation of the wave function of a particle in a three-dimensional space. They are used to represent the wave function of a particle in a spherically symmetric potential.

3. Why is it important to express a wave function as a combination of spherical harmonics?

Expressing a wave function as a combination of spherical harmonics allows us to separate the radial and angular components of the wave function, making it easier to solve the Schrödinger equation and calculate the energy levels of a system. It also helps us understand the spatial distribution of the wave function.

4. How do we express a wave function as a combination of spherical harmonics?

We can use the process of separation of variables to express a wave function as a combination of spherical harmonics. This involves breaking down the wave function into radial and angular parts, and then using the properties of spherical harmonics to express the angular part as a sum of spherical harmonics.

5. Can a wave function be expressed as a combination of spherical harmonics for any potential?

No, a wave function can only be expressed as a combination of spherical harmonics for spherically symmetric potentials. For other potentials, different mathematical techniques must be used to solve the Schrödinger equation and express the wave function.