Exponential problem: caffeine dosage

In summary: Therefore, to solve for k, we need to divide both sides by y and then take the natural logarithm of both sides. This will give us the value of k. In summary, to calculate k, divide both sides of the equation by y and take the natural logarithm of both sides.
jackscholar
If the concentration of caffeine in a system at any given time is given by the equation
y(t)=De^-kt
where dy/dt=-kt is the clearence rate (re-arranged and integrated to form the above equation) and the concentration of caffeine in the system at t=0 is D, then calculate k if:
After one hour, 25% of the caffein has been cleared.

I know that y(60)= 3D/4 or three quarters of D
so how do I re-arrange to get k?

Physics news on Phys.org
jackscholar said:
If the concentration of caffeine in a system at any given time is given by the equation
y(t)=De^-kt
where dy/dt=-kt is the clearence rate (re-arranged and integrated to form the above equation) and the concentration of caffeine in the system at t=0 is D, then calculate k if:

y(60)=De^(-k*60). That's equal to 3D/4. It shouldn't be too hard to solve for k if you use a log, is it?

OH! I see now. Just subtitute in 3/4D for y(60) then divide by D, take ln of both sides and divide by negative 60. Thank you!

jackscholar said:
y(t)=De^-kt

Note: dy/dt is NOT equal to -kt; it is equal to -ky.

Related to Exponential problem: caffeine dosage

1. What is an exponential problem?

An exponential problem is a mathematical problem that involves quantities that are increasing or decreasing at a constant rate over time. In other words, the change in the quantity is proportional to its current value.

2. How does caffeine dosage follow an exponential pattern?

Caffeine is metabolized by the body at a constant rate, meaning the amount of caffeine in the body decreases by a certain percentage over time. This results in an exponential decrease in caffeine levels in the body.

3. Why is it important to understand the exponential pattern of caffeine dosage?

Understanding the exponential pattern of caffeine dosage is important for determining the appropriate amount of caffeine to consume for desired effects and to avoid negative side effects. It can also help individuals monitor their caffeine intake and make informed decisions about their caffeine consumption habits.

4. How do factors such as body weight and metabolism affect the exponential pattern of caffeine dosage?

Factors like body weight and metabolism can influence the rate at which caffeine is metabolized in the body. This can affect the speed and intensity of the exponential decrease in caffeine levels, as well as the overall duration of the effects of caffeine.

5. Is there a maximum safe dosage of caffeine?

Yes, there is a recommended maximum safe dosage of caffeine, which is generally considered to be around 400 milligrams per day for healthy adults. However, this may vary depending on individual factors such as body weight and sensitivity to caffeine. It is important to monitor caffeine intake and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.