Exponential modeling of G-force

In summary: Statistical%20Analysis/leastsquares.pdfIn summary, Zachzach attempted to solve for the equation of a straight line that would model the data given (35, 0.01) (28, 0.03) (20, 0.1) (15, 0.3) (11, 1) (9,3) (6, 10) (4.5, 30). He was unable to do so and asked for help. Lane replied that least squares is a statistical method that can be used to find the line of best fit. Zachzach was able to find the equation in excel and then plotted the points
cgi093

Homework Statement

Derive an equation of the form y=ax^b to model the given data: (35, 0.01) (28, 0.03) (20, 0.1) (15, 0.3) (11, 1) (9,3) (6, 10) (4.5, 30)

Homework Equations

Well, I know the answer is y = (7790 +/- 1246)x^(-3.698+/-0.1036) because that's what LoggerPro spits out, but I don't know how to derive it correctly without a program.

The Attempt at a Solution

Among the many, many attempts:

y = Ax^b
b = log(y)-log(A)
****** log(x)

Then I inserted numbers from two different data points then set the equations equal to each other, resulting in:

log(0.1)-log(A) = log(1)-log(A)
*** log(20) ****** *** log(11)

Which, after a step or two, became:

log(20) = log(11)log(0.1) +log(11)
************* log(A)

So, log(A) = log(11)log(0.1)
*********** log (20) - log(11)

Yielding an answer of A ~ -4.01

However, that isn't right, so I didn't even try to solve for b.

Could anyone please help? This is a big assignment, so sorry if I bump this thread a bit until I get help. And please take me through the steps, because I don't want to copy, I want to understand. I just need some help getting there. Thanks.

P.S. Ignore the asterisks. They're there only to get the denominators in the right place.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use the method of least squares.

so starting with
[tex] y = ax^b [/tex]

taking logs
[tex] log(y) = log(ax^b) = log(x^b) + log(a)= b.log(x) + log(a)[/tex]

so plotting up log(y) vs log(x) should be a graph of a straight line... if you can work out the line of best fit for that straight line, you should be able to cacaluate a & b from them...

if its really experimental data, the data is not perfect, so you can't use a single pair of data points - you should use the whole data set to find the line of best fit...

as zachzach points of least squares is a good idea

@ zach: Thanks, but no idea how to do that. And I posted this in the wrong subforum, because I'm in advanced pre-calc. So no calculus to help me please.

@lane: it's not experimental. That's an interesting idea though. I'll try it. Thanks a lot.

then just plot the points on a log-log graph & draw a straight line of best fit on graph paer & work out the gradient & intercept

zachzach said:

Thanks again, but that looks like gibberish to me. I've never used sigma outside of physics, for example. Maybe it wouldn't be that hard to learn, but I did google least squares and none of it really made sense to me.

least squares is just a statistical method to give you the line of best fit through a set of data points

its derived by calculus, but doesn't require any to use it...

lanedance said:
least squares is just a statistical method to give you the line of best fit through a set of data points

its derived by calculus, but doesn't require any to use it...

Good point.

so after some quick googling, you can do it very quickly in excel http://phoenix.phys.clemson.edu/tutorials/excel/regression.html

and the equations to do it by hand are there as well if you are so inclined..

Related to Exponential modeling of G-force

1. What is exponential modeling of G-force?

Exponential modeling of G-force is a mathematical approach used to describe the rapid increase in G-force experienced by an object as it accelerates. It takes into account the relationship between time, acceleration, and G-force to create a curve that shows how G-force changes over time.

2. Why is exponential modeling used for G-force?

Exponential modeling is used for G-force because it accurately represents the non-linear relationship between time and G-force. As an object accelerates, the G-force increases at an exponential rate, making it necessary to use this type of modeling to accurately describe the behavior.

3. How is exponential modeling of G-force used in science?

Exponential modeling of G-force is used in various fields of science, such as physics and aerospace engineering, to predict and analyze the effects of G-force on objects. It can also be used to design safety measures for objects and humans that experience high levels of G-force.

4. What factors affect the shape of an exponential G-force curve?

The shape of an exponential G-force curve is affected by several factors, including the initial acceleration of the object, the mass of the object, and the duration of the acceleration. These factors can alter the rate at which G-force increases and the overall shape of the curve.

5. How is exponential modeling of G-force different from linear modeling?

Exponential modeling of G-force is different from linear modeling because it takes into account the non-linear relationship between time and G-force. Linear modeling assumes a constant rate of change, whereas exponential modeling allows for a rapid increase in G-force over time. Additionally, exponential modeling is better suited for describing the behavior of objects experiencing high levels of G-force.