Exponential Distribution and probability

In summary: StrategyIn summary, the probability of having more than three calls in one-half hour is 1 - e^-(10*3).

Homework Statement

The time between calls to a corporate office is exponentially distributed with a mean of 10 minutes. What is the probability that there are more than three calls in one-half hour?

Homework Equations

F(x) = P(X <= x) = 1 - e^-(lamba*x)

The Attempt at a Solution

P(X > 3) = 1 - P(X < 3)
= 1 - [1 - e^-(10*3)]
=e^-(10*3)

I think this answer is wrong though because I think that P(X > 3) actually means the probability that at least 30 minutes will pass before the first call instead of the probability that there are more than three calls in one half hour, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
6021023 said:

Homework Statement

The time between calls to a corporate office is exponentially distributed with a mean of 10 minutes. What is the probability that there are more than three calls in one-half hour?

Homework Equations

F(x) = P(X <= x) = 1 - e^-(lamba*x)
P(X <= x) is not the notation for a probability distribution. It is the notation for a cumulative distribution. Additionaly I think the PDF is probably just:

e^-(lamba*x)
I think this answer is wrong though because I think that P(X > 3) actually means the probability that at least 30 minutes will pass before the first call instead of the probability that there are more than three calls in one half hour, but I'm not sure.

The question gave you the distribution for the average time between calls. However, you want the amount of calls that occurred in a 10 minute interval. It sounds like a bit of a conditional probability question.

In the 10 minute intervals you can have three calls anywhere in the interval. This will be a three dimensional space of random variables a b c, where a,b,c represent when the call occurred in the interval.

You need:
P(a|b|c)

I know:

P(a|b)=P(a&b)/P(b)

You need to find a more general expression for this. Then you need to integrate P(a|b|c) where a,b,c Go from zero minutes to 10 minutes.

Looking at a solution to a similar problem in the book shows them solving it by treating it as a Poisson random variable.

P(X > 3) = 1 - P(0 <= X <= 3) = 1 - P(X = 0) + P(X = 1) + P(X = 2) + P(X = 3)
Now, all you need is calculate the four probabilities on the right, add them, and subtract the total from 1.

Mark

Related to Exponential Distribution and probability

1. What is the Exponential Distribution?

The Exponential Distribution is a probability distribution that describes the time between events in a Poisson process. It is commonly used to model the waiting time between occurrences of rare events.

2. What is the probability density function of the Exponential Distribution?

The probability density function of the Exponential Distribution is f(x) = λe^(-λx), where λ is the rate parameter and x is the time between events.

3. How is the Exponential Distribution related to the Poisson Distribution?

The Exponential Distribution is related to the Poisson Distribution because it can be used to model the time between events in a Poisson process. In other words, the Exponential Distribution is the continuous version of the discrete Poisson Distribution.

4. How is the Exponential Distribution used in real life?

The Exponential Distribution is used in many real-life situations, such as modeling the time between earthquakes, the time between customer arrivals at a service center, and the time between failures of a machine or system.

5. How do you calculate the mean and variance of the Exponential Distribution?

The mean of the Exponential Distribution is equal to 1/λ, and the variance is equal to 1/λ^2. This means that as the rate parameter λ increases, the mean decreases and the variance decreases. The standard deviation is equal to the square root of the variance.