Exponential Decay Homework: Solving 8 mg After 100 Years

In summary, if 8 mg of a radioactive substance remains after 100 years, it has been halved 5 times. This means that the substance has a decay constant of k=\frac{log(2)}{t_{\frac{1}{2}}} which is easy to find.
howsockgothap

Homework Statement

A radioactive substance has a half-life of 20 years. If 8 mg of the substance remains after
100 years, find how much of the substance was initially present.

Homework Equations

A=A0ekt

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the equation up so that 8=A0e100k and figured I could solve from there taking the ln but that gives me ln8/A0=100k... I still have two variables so I can't solve. How do I fix this? Can I plug in 20 for k?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a thought: an easier way to do this might be to recognize that the object has gone through half-life five times, namely that the object has been halved five times. So if you multiply by 2^5, you'll get the answer you're looking for.

Yes, I do realize that, but my prof will give 0 marks for an answer that doesn't use the equation.

I assume that k here is the decay constant. Just remember that one of the definitions for k is...

[tex]k=\frac{log(2)}{t_{\frac{1}{2}}}[/tex]

Since you know the half-life, finding the decay constant should be easy.

Thanks!

No problem. Have a great day!

What Char Limit said is excellent: 100= 5(20) so the substance must have been halved 5 times. Work backwards- what is the opposite of "halving"?

As for your method, you have more variables than equations because you did not use all of the information- in particular you made no use of the fact that the half-life is 20 years.

If you start with any amount C, after 20 years, you will have C/2 left:
[tex]Ce^{20k}= C/2[/tex]
so
[tex]e^{20k}= \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
You could solve that for t and then use
[tex]Ce^{100k}= 8[/tex]

But using [itex]Ce^{kt}[/itex] at all is the "hard way". All "exponentials", to any base, are interchangeable.
[tex]Ca^{\alpha t}= Ce^{ln(a^{\alpha t}}= Ce^{(\alpha ln(a))}[/tex]
which is the same as [itex]Ce^{kt}[/itex] with [itex]k= \alpha ln(a)[/itex].

Knowing that the decay is exponential and that the half life is 20 years tells you that you can use
[tex]C\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{t/20}[/tex]
where dividing t by 20 tells you how many "20 year periods" there are in t years.

But, again, the way Char Limit suggested is simplest and best.

howsockgothap said:
Yes, I do realize that, but my prof will give 0 marks for an answer that doesn't use the equation.
If you explain clearly what you are doing I cannot imagine any teacher giving "0 marks" for an easier solution.

My prof is a psycho. He's given me a 9% on an assignment before because I didn't use the methods he liked, even if I got the correct answers.

Related to Exponential Decay Homework: Solving 8 mg After 100 Years

1. What is exponential decay?

Exponential decay is a mathematical concept that describes the decrease in a quantity over time. In this case, it refers to the decrease in the amount of a substance (8 mg) over a specific time period (100 years).

2. How do you calculate exponential decay?

To calculate exponential decay, you need to know the initial amount of the substance, the rate of decay, and the time period. In this case, the equation would be A = A0e^(-rt), where A0 is the initial amount (8 mg), r is the rate of decay, and t is the time period (100 years).

3. What is the rate of decay in this problem?

The rate of decay can be calculated by taking the natural logarithm of the ratio of the final amount to the initial amount, divided by the time period. In this problem, the rate of decay would be ln(0.0001/8)/100 = -0.0001739.

4. How do you solve for the final amount in exponential decay?

The final amount can be found by plugging in the initial amount, rate of decay, and time period into the equation A = A0e^(-rt). In this problem, the final amount would be 8e^(-0.0001739*100) ≈ 0.0001 mg.

5. What are some real-life examples of exponential decay?

Exponential decay can be observed in various natural phenomena, such as radioactive decay, population growth, and the decay of carbon-14 in organic materials. It is also used in finance to calculate compound interest and in medicine to model the decay of drugs in the body.