Explosion reported near Boston Marathon finish line

In summary: Just really upsetting.In summary, two explosions have been reported near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, and there are reports of injuries. There is also conflicting information as to whether or not law enforcement has a suspect in custody.
http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro/Explosion-reported-near-Boston-Marathon-finish-line/-/11971628/19757044/-/odjbsx/-/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Two explosions have been reported near the Boston Marathon finish line on Boylston Street, and there are reports of injuries.

Crews were sent to 617 Boylston St. at about 2:30 p.m. Witnesses said several victims lost limbs, and the area was being evacuated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CNN has some video showing the explosion near the finish line as it occurred. Haven't found anything on youtube that is very good yet but one guy already posted a picture with a music track. :confused:

If you see the explosion near the finish line, look up the street and you can see a second cloud of smoke about a block further down the street.

CNN is now reporting 2 dead and 28 injured.

Last edited:
Evidently there was a third explosion at the JFK Library.

fyi, mile 26 was dedicated to the Newton shooting victims. It's also where the VIP section was where the families were watching.

FB reports from friends in Boston say the cell service has been shut off to avoid more detonations.

This is really upsetting. I've run several marathons. I'm usually one of the people that finish in the four to five hour range - which is when the bombs went off. It's the people that aren't professionals, who aren't super athletes, who train to meet a goal or to lose weight or just to do something amazing, who were crossing the finish line when this happened. It really hits close to home.

This is really upsetting. I've run several marathons. I'm usually one of the people that finish in the four to five hour range - which is when the bombs went off. It's the people that aren't professionals, who aren't super athletes, who train to meet a goal or to lose weight or just to do something amazing, who were crossing the finish line when this happened. It really hits close to home.
Yeah it's disgusting.

Do you know if any of the athletes were hurt? I saw a picture of a guy who got his legs blown off. I think he was a spectator or something. But that's just sad.

Borg said:
CNN has some video showing the explosion near the finish line as it occurred. Haven't found anything on youtube that is very good yet but one guy already posted a picture with a music track. :confused:

Here's some footage (might be disturbing to some):

Last edited by a moderator:
NBC is reporting that the library may have just been a normal fire. They are also reporting more than 100 people being treated at hospitals.

Borg said:
NBC is reporting that the library may have just been a normal fire.
Yes. I've heard that also. Let's hope so.

Just spoke to my sister in Boston. She knows a bunch of people who were running (she's a marathon runner but did not run it) including two people from her office, all of which apparently were fine.

cristo said:
Here's some footage (might be disturbing to some):

That's just awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borg said:
NBC is reporting that the library may have just been a normal fire. They are also reporting more than 100 people being treated at hospitals.
CNN reported ~110 injured, including a number of children. Eight injured are in critical condition, and about 10 or so in serious condition. One of the dead may be an 8-year old child.

Yikes apparently my fiance's maid of honor was at the end line 30min before the first explosion. So horrible.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Authorities ID suspect as Saudi national in marathon bombings, under guard at Boston hospital

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nation...source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

cristo said:
BBC are quoting police commissioner as saying reports police have a suspect in custody are inaccurate.

As is anything else from the new york post. They were reporting 12 dead when the number is 2.

nypost = not a news source.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:

My sentiments as a runner too, though obviously it's sad no matter who got killed or injured.

Bombings, shooting sprees, assasinations...crazy. What was that old Chinese curse? May you live in interesting times? Interesting times indeed.

Ugh. This is annoying.

I had to review the list of registered runners, and luckily Bub hadn't signed up this year. He was never a top marathoner, which could have put him in the target time.

I would like times to be less "interesting".

Truly awful. I have no words for it.

No-one does really. Peaceful group of people running for a cause are disrupted and brutally injured or murdered because of some idiot. Sometimes the irrationality of a person is beyond comprehension, it is just a cause of having a higher level of consciousness than most animals. These people will themselves towards their own depraved notions of the world and would like to inflict harm unto others where it is not due, if ever any harm is due onto anyone. Their values are misdirected.

It was the spectators on the sidewalk that were targeted, not the runners.

Apparently a third person has died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22160691
Details of the victims have not been revealed, however the Associated Press news agency reported that an eight-year-old boy was among the dead. Quoting a family friend, the report said the boy's mother and sister were also injured as they waited for his father to finish the race.

. . . .

Everyone seems to be in a haze today. Or maybe I am just in a haze. I don't know. My lab at Boston University is less than a mile from the bombing site. It's terrible.

I live about 3/4 of a mile from the finish line, and had considered going to see the marathon at some point yesterday. I'm kind of glad I felt lazy yesterday and decided to stay home.

People couldn't reach me by cell phone, so my girlfriend and family members were worried about me. Girlfriend was at work, family members are back in Baltimore. I received two texts, but couldn't send any texts or phone calls out. I don't have a facebook, so I had to email people that I wasn't at the race.

Just horrible all around.

Senseless is the word. Yeah, genius, you killed an 8 year old boy and a college girl. Good job, you defeated the bad guys. Now they won't threaten you anymore. Absurd.

DiracPool said:
Senseless is the word. Yeah, genius, you killed an 8 year old boy and a college girl. Good job, you defeated the bad guys. Now they won't threaten you anymore. Absurd.
I believe the word 'depraved' is appropriate here.

When do we get a conspiracy theory that today's Iranian earthquake was triggered by the CIA :biggrin: