Exploring Time and the Solar System with Santural

In summary, the concept of time as a fourth dimension is used to measure time intervals, but it is not absolute and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This is due to the geometry of the path through space-time, and there is no universal or cosmic time. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, and similarly, the shortest elapsed time occurs along a straight path without any acceleration.
Santural
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this sector of the Gould's Belt, so let me introduce myself :I go by the name of Santural,the resident of...ok I'll stop being such a dork:rolleyes: .
Well, I recently read ("studied") The G theory of R, and one thing failed to penetrate the walls of stupidity into my tiny drop of intelligence.
What I can't seem to understand, is the application of time as a fourth dimension. How exactly does one measure time? Is it all simply relative? Ex. You can measure time relative to earth, but is there a cosmological "time" that applies to everything?
Do forgive me if I'm being a complete dolt, but try to understand my position...:approve:

Also, as a random thing, isn't the scale of the solar system something amazing, what with the Oort cloud and stuff?

Well, sorry for taking your time,
Santural.

Physics news on Phys.org
This would probably get more responses in the "relativity" section rather than "cosmology". There is no "absolute" time and so no "cosmic" time. How time passes, at what time events occur, and whether two separated events occur at the same time all depend on your "frame of reference" and so specifically on your speed relative to another observer of the same events.

Sorry!
Thanks, I'll post it there A.S.A.P.
And thanks for the info!

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this sector of the Gould's Belt, so let me introduce myself :I go by the name of Santural,the resident of...ok I'll stop being such a dork .
Well, I recently read ("studied") The G theory of R, and one thing failed to penetrate the walls of stupidity into my tiny drop of intelligence.
What I can't seem to understand, is the application of time as a fourth dimension. How exactly does one measure time? Is it all simply relative? Ex. You can measure time relative to earth, but is there a cosmological "time" that applies to everything?
Do forgive me if I'm being a complete dolt, but I'm just trying to learn... but try to understand my position...

Also, as a random thing, isn't the scale of the solar system something amazing, what with the Oort cloud and stuff?

Santural.

Santural said:
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this sector of the Gould's Belt, so let me introduce myself :I go by the name of Santural,the resident of...ok I'll stop being such a dork .
Do forgive me if I'm being a complete dolt, but I'm just trying to learn... but try to understand my position...

Santural.

The most basic sort of time is a time interval. This is what you measure with a clock. You have to specify a path that the clock takes through space and time to measure the time with a clock, however.

Two clocks, traveling along different paths, can read different times when they next meet. This is sometimes called the "twin paradox", though it's not really a paradox.

The fact that time turns out to be path dependent in this manner implies that there is not any such thing as "universal time".

People use other sorts of time, such as "coordinate time", but it's probably more important that you understand time intervals, as measured by a clock, first.

Understood.
Sorry about all those posts, don't know where they came from.
Now, why is it that the two clocks in that example read differently?
What exactly causes the time to change as is?
It probably has something to do with the speed you're traveling at, I'm guessing.
But how exactly does the time differ, or actually, why? Does gravity play a roll? Or some other universal force?
And forgive me about the previous posts, I asked my brother to ask this question on this forum because I was busy, and apparently he made a fool of me.

Regards,
Santural.

P.S.: I think those posts were because a moderator transferred the thread.

Santural said:
Understood.
Sorry about all those posts, don't know where they came from.
Now, why is it that the two clocks in that example read differently?
What exactly causes the time to change as is?
It probably has something to do with the speed you're traveling at, I'm guessing.
But how exactly does the time differ, or actually, why? Does gravity play a roll? Or some other universal force?
And forgive me about the previous posts, I asked my brother to ask this question on this forum because I was busy, and apparently he made a fool of me.

Regards,
Santural.

P.S.: I think those posts were because a moderator transferred the thread.

I merged the thread, which combined all posts from both threads into this one into the best forum.

We really prefer not to have duplicate threads, I probably should have mentioned what I was doing and mentioned that we don't like duplicate threads.

Anyway, consider the fact that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. What is the "reason" for this? I suppose one could say, succinctly, "geometry".

This is exactly the same reason that elapsed time is different for SR along different paths - the geometry of the path itself. Straight paths through space-time are called geodesics, are characterized by the lack of any "felt" acceleration, and have the longest elapsed time, at least in special relativity.

A lot of people get "stuck" on the idea that there has to be some master clock somewhere. There isn't any cure for being "stuck" that I've seen t except for abandoning the idea that there is no such master clock. Some people just cling to this incorrect idea, I don't know why.

There are other ways of understanding SR, but the geometrical idea is one of the most powerful, and it's actually not any harder than the Euclidian geometry one probably learned at school.

Some alternatives are the K-calculus approach, which only requires high school algebra. This involves some equations (though rather simple ones), so I thought the geometric appraoch might be a better attempt from the impression I formed from your initial post.The hardest part about SR seems to be"unlearning", not learning. The actual ideas are fairly simple, the hard part for most people seems to be abandoning old, incorrect ideas.

I understand.
So it the path itself (its geometrical structure) which affects the time.
Another question is, why is it that when one travels at the speed of light, let's say, to Neptune and back, why is it that millions, possibly billions of years have passed on earth?
I would have thought that since you traveled at the speed of light, barely seconds would have passed.

P.S. I know humans can't (yet) travel at the speed of light, but let's suppose for this purpose.

Related to Exploring Time and the Solar System with Santural

1. What is Santural and how does it relate to exploring time and the solar system?

Santural is a scientific instrument used to measure time and track the movements of celestial bodies in the solar system. It uses the principles of astronomy and mathematics to accurately measure and predict astronomical events.

2. How does Santural work?

Santural works by using a series of calibrated dials and gears to track the position of the sun, moon, and stars. It also takes into account the Earth's rotation and orbit around the sun to accurately measure time and predict future astronomical events.

3. What are some of the benefits of using Santural for exploring time and the solar system?

Santural allows scientists to accurately measure and predict astronomical events, such as eclipses and planetary alignments, which can aid in understanding the movements and patterns of celestial bodies. It also provides a reliable and precise way to measure time, which is essential for conducting scientific experiments and observations.

4. How has Santural advanced our understanding of time and the solar system?

Santural has played a crucial role in advancing our understanding of time and the solar system. It has allowed scientists to make more accurate predictions and observations of astronomical events, leading to new discoveries and theories about the universe. It has also provided a deeper understanding of the Earth's place in the solar system and how it interacts with other celestial bodies.

5. Can Santural be used for other scientific purposes besides exploring time and the solar system?

Yes, Santural has been used for a variety of scientific purposes beyond exploring time and the solar system. It has been used to study planetary motion, map the stars, and even aid in navigation. Its precise measurements and calculations make it a valuable tool for many areas of scientific research.