Exploring the Weak Coupling Between Matter & Space Time

In summary, according to the author, the effect of the expansion of the universe on objects within it is much smaller than the gravitational binding of a cluster of objects. This suggests that space time, viewed as a super fluid, can carry massive bodies with it.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have read that, on the scale of clusters (million light years) the effect of
the expansion of the universe is 10 million times smaller than the gravity
binding the cluster.
So space time, (flows) through the cluster (like a super fluid) or akin to a
group of logs staying in a fixed possition in a flowing stream, all poor
analogies but the best i can come up with.
This suggests that the (coulping) between matter and space time is
extremely weak.
My question, how can space time if viewed as a (super fluid or some thing
that gravitationaly bound bodies can ignore) carry massive bodies ie
gallaxies with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
In GR the coupling of the general expansion of space to objects within it is generally understood to be dependent on the average density of the universe compared with that of the object concerned.

If the average cosmological density is ~ 10-29 gms/cc and the average density of the cluster is ~ 10-22 gms/cc then the cosmological expansion effect (Hubble flow) is 10 million times smaller than the gravitational binding of the cluster.

However, the centre of mass of the cluster itself, or the super-cluster it belongs to, is carried along with the Hubble flow.

There is a question about how the gravitational field of the cluster/galaxy/stellar system within the cosmological field is treated. The local field is treated as Newtonian, which is the weak field limit of the Schwarzschild solution that itself is embedded in flat non-expanding Minkowskian space-time (at [itex]r \rightarrow \infty[/itex]). If it is embedded in a cosmological metric as [itex]r \rightarrow \infty[/itex] then bound orbits might themselves be expanding with the universe.

This is generally not thought to be the case, but with the present non-identification of DM and the non-explained Pioneer anomaly (~ equal to the Hubble acceleration cH) the standard understanding may be in need of revision.

Garth

Last edited:
Thanks Garth, all very confusing, to me any way, i wonder how the system
(space time and mass) stayed together when dark energy started an
accelerated expansion.

wolram said:
Thanks Garth, all very confusing, to me any way, i wonder how the system
(space time and mass) stayed together when dark energy started an
accelerated expansion.
DE just affects the cosmological expansion. If gravitationally bound objects are not affected by that expansion (as is normally thought to be the case) then they will not be affected by an accelerated expansion caused by DE.

Garth

Just had a look on the latest for the PA, a lot of talk here but not much on
new science, as usual it may be years befor an ansewer is forthcomming.

http://www.planetary.org/programs/projects/pioneer_anomaly/update_200511.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring the Weak Coupling Between Matter & Space Time

1. What is the weak coupling between matter and space-time?

The weak coupling between matter and space-time refers to the interaction between particles of matter (such as atoms and subatomic particles) and the fabric of space-time as described by the theory of general relativity.

2. How is the weak coupling between matter and space-time studied?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the weak coupling between matter and space-time, including experiments with particle accelerators, observations of astronomical phenomena, and mathematical modeling.

3. What are some potential applications of understanding the weak coupling between matter and space-time?

Understanding the weak coupling between matter and space-time could lead to advancements in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and quantum gravity. It may also have practical applications in technologies such as GPS and nuclear energy.

4. What evidence supports the existence of a weak coupling between matter and space-time?

Scientists have observed various phenomena, such as the bending of light by massive objects and the effects of gravitational waves, that are consistent with the predictions of general relativity and the existence of a weak coupling between matter and space-time.

5. Are there any unresolved questions or controversies surrounding the weak coupling between matter and space-time?

There are still many unanswered questions and ongoing debates among scientists about the nature and implications of the weak coupling between matter and space-time. Some of these include the unification of general relativity and quantum mechanics, the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and the possibility of multiple dimensions.