Exploring the Sum of $\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + n^2} + n}$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the given infinite series can be rewritten as $\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + n^2} + n}$ and can be compared to $\frac{1}{n}$ using the limit comparison test. Since the limit of the ratio of these two series is finite, both series have the same behavior and therefore diverge. Another approach to show divergence is by using the Riemann Zeta function, where $\text{Re}(\sigma) = 1$, which is smaller than the summand in the given series and therefore the series diverges.
Dustinsfl
$\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}\left(\sqrt{1 + n^2} - n\right)$

$$
\sqrt{1 + n^2} - n = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + n^2} + n}
$$
Now what?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}\left(\sqrt{1 + n^2} - n\right)$

$$
\sqrt{1 + n^2} - n = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + n^2} + n}
$$
Now what?

\[\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+n^2}+n}\sim \frac{1}{n}\]

So it makes sense to compare this to $\dfrac{1}{n}$. I'd suggest using the limit comparison test to do this and show that

\[\lim_{n\to\infty}\dfrac{\dfrac{1}{n}}{\dfrac{1}{ \sqrt{1+n^2} +n}}\rightarrow L\]

If the limit converges (i.e. $L<\infty$), both terms have the same behavior (in this case, the limit should converge, implying that both series diverge).

I hope this helps!

Chris L T521 said:
\[\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+n^2}+n}\sim \frac{1}{n}\]

So it makes sense to compare this to $\dfrac{1}{n}$. I'd suggest using the limit comparison test to do this and show that

\[\lim_{n\to\infty}\dfrac{\dfrac{1}{n}}{\dfrac{1}{ \sqrt{1+n^2} +n}}\rightarrow L\]

If the limit converges (i.e. $L<\infty$), both terms have the same behavior (in this case, the limit should converge, implying that both series diverge).

I hope this helps!

Wouldn't it be easier than to say that $\frac{1}{n} > \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+n^2}+n}$ and the Riemann Zeta function only converges for the $\text{Re}(\sigma) >1$. Since $\text{Re} (\sigma) =1$, it diverges.

dwsmith said:
Wouldn't it be easier than to say that $\frac{1}{n} > \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+n^2}+n}$ and the Riemann Zeta function only converges for the $\text{Re}(\sigma) >1$. Since $\text{Re} (\sigma) =1$, it diverges.

I'm not that confident with working with Zeta functions. However, I must say that in order to show divergence, you need to find a general term that is smaller than the term of the series you're looking at; that is, if you're comparing two series $\sum a_n$ and $\sum b_n$ and $a_n\leq b_n$, then $\sum b_n$ diverges if $\sum a_n$ does. So, if you want to use zeta functions, you want to find some multiple $k$ of the summand term in $\zeta(1)$ such that $\dfrac{k}{n}<\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+n^2}+n}$.

It's going to diverge no matter what, but you need to be careful in showing how it does so.

Related to Exploring the Sum of $\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + n^2} + n}$

1. What is the purpose of exploring the sum of 1/(sqrt(1 + n^2) + n)?

The purpose of exploring this sum is to better understand the behavior of the series and potentially find patterns or relationships that can be applied in other mathematical contexts.

2. How is the sum of 1/(sqrt(1 + n^2) + n) related to other mathematical concepts?

This sum is related to various areas of mathematics, including calculus, number theory, and complex analysis. It can also be used to approximate the value of certain integrals and solve certain equations.

3. What are some real-world applications of the sum of 1/(sqrt(1 + n^2) + n)?

This sum has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model various phenomena, such as the behavior of electrical circuits and the motion of objects in space.

4. Are there any known solutions or closed forms for this sum?

No, there are currently no known closed forms or exact solutions for this sum. However, there are various techniques and methods for approximating its value and studying its properties.

5. How can the sum of 1/(sqrt(1 + n^2) + n) be used in problem-solving and mathematical proofs?

The sum can be used in problem-solving and mathematical proofs to demonstrate relationships between different mathematical concepts and to derive new results. It can also be used to simplify complex equations and expressions.