Exploring the Subspace of a Homogeneous System of Linear Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how a set of points in the form (x, y, 3x + 2y) can be proven to be a solution to a homogeneous system of linear equations and thus a subspace. The first solution method mentioned involves assuming two vectors as solutions and showing that any linear combination of them still retains the same form. The second method involves writing out the equation and solving for the parameters to show that the solutions involve parameters. The conversation also brings up the idea that the points given actually represent a plane through the origin and satisfy a homogenous linear equation. It is then discussed that this is similar to the second solution method proposed earlier. The proposed first solution method is questioned and the conversation concludes with a request
Ryker

Homework Statement

Suppose you have points of a specific form, say (x, y, 3x + 2y). Show that this set of points is a solution to a homogeneous system of linear equations, hence a subspace.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm wondering how one is able to go about this. Here's my try, but I'm not sure I'm going about this the right way. I assumed vectors u = (x1, y1, 3x1 + 2y1) and v = (x2, y2, 3x2 + 2y2) are two solutions. Next, I said any linear combination of them, say, tu + sv is also a solution to Ax = 0, where x is the solution vector. Then I just expanded the terms and showed that indeed any solution to Ax = 0 as a linear combination of u and v still retains the form (x, y, 3x + 2y).

Is this the proper way of doing this or is there another one? Should I have perhaps instead written down, for example, a1x + a2y + a3(3x + 2y) = 0, expanded it to (a1 + 3a3)x + (a2+2a3)y = 0, and then resolved this equation to show that the solutions for a's involve parameters?

Physics news on Phys.org

the points given by (x, y, 3x + 2y) represents a plane through the origin and satisfies 3x + 2y - z = 0 which is a homogenous linear equation

Hmm, yeah, you're right, I didn't think of it that way. But are you sure this is the proper way of formally proving it?

edit: Looking at it again, your solution would then be similar to the second one I proposed, right? I mean, whereas I would get parameters for a's, they could correspond to 3, 2 and -1 in your solution, as well as to multiple other coefficient solutions, such as 6, 4, -2 etc. Could you perhaps elaborate on that a bit?

And could anyone comment on my proposed first solution? Is it wrong, or just another way of going about it?

Last edited:

Related to Exploring the Subspace of a Homogeneous System of Linear Equations

What is a homogeneous system of linear equations?

A homogeneous system of linear equations is a set of equations where all the constant terms are equal to zero. In other words, the right-hand side of the equations are all zero. This means that all the variables in the system are related to each other in a linear fashion.

Why is it important to explore the subspace of a homogeneous system of linear equations?

Exploring the subspace of a homogeneous system of linear equations allows us to understand the possible solutions to the system. It helps us find the basis for the solution space and determine if there are any special solutions, such as the trivial solution or infinite solutions.

What is the relationship between the subspace of a homogeneous system of linear equations and the null space of its coefficient matrix?

The subspace of a homogeneous system of linear equations is the set of all possible solutions to the system. This subspace is equivalent to the null space of the coefficient matrix, which is the set of all vectors that satisfy the homogeneous system. This means that the basis for the subspace is the same as the basis for the null space.

How can we find the basis for the subspace of a homogeneous system of linear equations?

The basis for the subspace of a homogeneous system of linear equations can be found by reducing the coefficient matrix to row-echelon form using Gaussian elimination. The pivot columns in the reduced matrix will correspond to the basis vectors for the subspace.

What is the significance of the dimension of the subspace of a homogeneous system of linear equations?

The dimension of the subspace of a homogeneous system of linear equations is equal to the number of free variables in the system. This tells us the number of linearly independent solutions to the system and helps us determine the general solution. It also gives us information about the nullity of the coefficient matrix, which is important in understanding the properties of the system.