Exploring the Science of Spacetime Portals: From Marvel to X-Files and Beyond

• Thread starter cube137
  • Start date
In summary: It's almost always true of what's been published in the last ~20 years and in the case of string theory, pretty much entirely so. It's a common mistake of journalists and laymen alike, as well as a lot of scientists, to take incomplete theories and assumptions as if they meant something. It's an easy mistake to make but it's usually a sign of a lack of critical thinking. Don't do it!But yeah, the hidden dimensions are a consequence of string theory and don't allow for portals between universes. The only way to do that is with a wormhole, but that's entirely different to a portal, and
cube137
I just watched the new Ninja Turtles movie yesterday. It was about opening up spacetime portals. Did anyone notice so many new movies and even tv series have themes about portals between two parallel spacetime? Thor has it. Iron Man has it. Captain America. The TV series The Flash has it and also Marvels Agents of Shield. Or maybe it's mostly related to Marvel theme movies or tv series?

What is the more scientific term for it. Is it called Interbrane portals or just spacetime portals? In all the movies.. you need keys to open up the portals.. it can't just opened up like what they do by default at the Large Hadron Collider when they failed to find hidden dimensions.

What other good movies (non Marvel) have themes about spacetime portals and creating bridgeway between them? I know Event Horizon movie has it. They tried to open some portals and got an access to hellish creatures.

Wished when they created the X-files series. They should have explored this theme about atomic tests in the 1940s opening up portals and making the grey and reptilians accessed our dimensions. What sci-fi movies have this? This will be very interested theme. The best sci-fi movies are those that are realistic and possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
cube137 said:
Iron Man has it, Captain America.

Did they? Can't say I remember a scene from either of them with some sort of portal.

cube137 said:
What is the more scientific term for it. Is it called Interbrane portals or just spacetime portals?

A wormhole is the only theorized phenomenon that could link two points in space and time in this manner. And they don't necessarily exist, AIUI they're a consequence of plugging weird inputs into our current models (like negative mass matter).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole In all the movies.. you need keys to open up the portals.. it can't just opened up like what they do by default at the Large Hadron Collider when they failed to find hidden dimensions.[/quote]

I have no idea what you mean by the last point. A quick google on LHC and "hidden dimensions" only brings up sensationalist news articles and crackpot sites. Do you have any reputable link (from CERN itself) concerning an experiment into parallel universes?

cube137 said:
What other good movies (non Marvel) have themes about spacetime portals and creating bridgeway between them? I know Event Horizon movie has it. They tried to open some portals and got an access to hellish creatures.

Stargate is a classic on that front, typical portal fantasy show. Other (old now) SF shows include farscape and sliders. I didn't see it but the disney Wonderland film had something to do with time travel.

Wished when they created the X-files series. They should have explored this theme about atomic tests in the 1940s opening up portals and making the grey and reptilians accessed our dimensions. What sci-fi movies have this? This will be very interested theme. The best sci-fi movies are those that are realistic and possible.[/QUOTE]

Ryan_m_b said:
Did they? Can't say I remember a scene from either of them with some sort of portal.

Loki can open up portals.. The device in Captain America is something that can open up portals. Iron Man stories are intertwined with CA. I'll try to read up summary of them to give you the scene about portals.

A wormhole is the only theorized phenomenon that could link two points in space and time in this manner. And they don't necessarily exist, AIUI they're a consequence of plugging weird inputs into our current models (like negative mass matter).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole In all the movies.. you need keys to open up the portals.. it can't just opened up like what they do by default at the Large Hadron Collider when they failed to find hidden dimensions.

I have no idea what you mean by the last point. A quick google on LHC and "hidden dimensions" only brings up sensationalist news articles and crackpot sites. Do you have any reputable link (from CERN itself) concerning an experiment into parallel universes?

Oh. You mean the ideas of portals in the movies don't even have a correlate in physics? I read Warped Passages by Lisa Randal. She spoke about hidden dimensions where gravity can escape. But you are right. The different parallel brane worlds are totally separate in string theory and no ways for bridges portals to be built between them.. but string theory is just in the infancy.

Stargate is a classic on that front, typical portal fantasy show. Other (old now) SF shows include farscape and sliders. I didn't see it but the disney Wonderland film had something to do with time travel.

Wished when they created the X-files series. They should have explored this theme about atomic tests in the 1940s opening up portals and making the grey and reptilians accessed our dimensions. What sci-fi movies have this? This will be very interested theme. The best sci-fi movies are those that are realistic and possible.

cube137 said:
Loki can open up portals.. The device in Captain America is something that can open up portals. Iron Man stories are intertwined with CA. I'll try to read up summary of them to give you the scene about portals.

Yeah but Loki isn't in those films and the tesseract isn't used to open a portal in them either. You're thinking of the avengers.

cube137 said:
Oh. You mean the ideas of portals in the movies don't even have a correlate in physics?

Of course not! Not beyond the most basic, superficial way. Don't take anything in SF as correlating with physics, the vast majority of it doesn't and even where it does it's a grain of realism wrapped in a bubble of speculation and entertaining fantasy.

cube137 said:
I read Warped Passages by Lisa Randal. She spoke about hidden dimensions where gravity can escape. But you are right. The different parallel brane worlds are totally separate in string theory and no ways for bridges portals to be built between them.. but string theory is just in the infancy.

General note: a theory being young or incomplete doesn't tell you anything. It's almost always worthless to mention, sure in the future a theory might confirm it's possible to make wormholes, or it might be confirmed that they're impossible, or they might stay speculative as they are now. Those aren't particularly useful statements.

Ok. here's the "portal" scene in Captain America.. from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America:_The_First_Avenger

" Schmidt physically handles the Tesseract, causing him to dissolve in a bright light. The Tesseract burns through the plane and is lost in the ocean.".. or in http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Tesseract:

"Angered, Schmidt physically handled the Tesseract, only for the object to open a portal, which consumed Schmidt before closing. The Tesseract fell burning through the floors, causing it to plunge into the sea below."

There :) I'm trying to search for a portal scene in Iron Man.. it seems there isn't..

You physicists are really sharp even in science fiction move details :)

But if different branes or parallel branes exist in string theory.. is it logical there is no bridge or portal between them?

I

I don't remember Red Skull's death scene but fair enough.

I'm not a physicist, I'm a biologist (who quite likes SF). I don't know much about string theory but I do know you can't try to use everyday "logic" to figure it out.

Ryan_m_b said:
I don't remember Red Skull's death scene but fair enough.

I'm not a physicist, I'm a biologist (who quite likes SF). I don't know much about string theory but I do know you can't try to use everyday "logic" to figure it out.

But what dictates what is actual or not is reality itself. Even if 99% of the reported weird stuff going on is fictions.. if the remaining 1% is true and that includes weird objects disappearing into portals, then portals is logical. But I guess this is year 2200 A.D. physics.. meantime we can just enjoy the movies.

By the way.. do you know where those ideas from marvel comics come from? Ok. they got the idea from the so called "Art of the Covenant", an power of immense power that can open up portals. Old ancient myth says the land of Israel has one of the most powerful portals on earth.. so war has been waged over it for thousands of years. The marvel writers are very creative and they get ideas from other myths and combined them. I'm not updated of the what is the latest story in marvel comicss. Remember the movies shown now is in the comics in the 1960s (?).. Are the characters still the same after all this time.. hmm...

1. What is a spacetime portal?

A spacetime portal is a hypothetical phenomenon that allows for instantaneous travel through space and time. It is often depicted in science fiction as a doorway or tunnel that connects different points in the universe.

2. How is the concept of spacetime portals explored in popular media, such as Marvel and X-Files?

In popular media, spacetime portals are often used as a plot device to allow characters to travel to different dimensions, alternate timelines, or distant locations in the universe. They are also used to introduce elements of mystery and awe, as they challenge our understanding of the laws of physics.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the existence of spacetime portals?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of spacetime portals. The concept is purely theoretical and has not been proven by any scientific experiments or observations. However, some scientists believe that the existence of wormholes, which are hypothetical shortcuts in spacetime, could potentially lead to the creation of spacetime portals.

4. How does the study of spacetime portals relate to our understanding of the universe?

The study of spacetime portals is closely linked to our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. By exploring the possibilities of spacetime travel, we can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that govern our universe, such as time, space, and gravity.

5. Could we ever create a functioning spacetime portal?

While we do not currently have the technology to create a functioning spacetime portal, some research and experiments have been conducted to explore the feasibility of such a creation. However, many scientists believe that it is highly unlikely that we will ever be able to create a stable and controllable spacetime portal, as it would require immense amounts of energy and technology that is currently beyond our capabilities.