Exploring the Role of Antioxidants and Reducing Agents in Redox Reactions

• Thread starter Stephanus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    redox
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between antioxidant and reducing agents. Both have the ability to reduce oxidizing agents, but while reducing agents create new molecules through the reaction, antioxidants prevent the oxidizing agent from causing damage without creating new molecules. The main concept of both is the transfer of electrons and the creation of new products.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Lately, I'm trying to understand the benefits of antioxidant.
What is the difference between antioxidant and reducing agents?

1. Reducing agent react with (reduce) oxidizing agent to CREATE NEW molecule(s)?
2. Antioxidant reduces the oxidizing agent so it has an additional(s) electron, so the oxidizing agent is somewhat stable?
3. So both reducing agent and antioxidante REDUCE something else?
4. But reducing agent create a new molecule, while antioxidant just PREVENTS the oxidizing agent to become reactive but don't create new molecule(s)?
Are those the idea?

Thank you very much.
Whether it's right or wrong, so I know I'm on the right track or at least I know where I stand.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
Reducing agent react with (reduce) oxidizing agent to CREATE NEW molecule(s)?

Always. Antioxidant does exactly the same.

I believe the idea behind antioxidants is that they reduce the oxidizing agent before it can react with something else (that is: before it damages something else) and the reaction products are still safe. But the general chemistry of a redox reaction (electron transfer and new products being made) is always the same.

Likes Stephanus

1. What are antioxidants?

Antioxidants are molecules that can prevent or slow damage to cells caused by free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can harm cells and contribute to various diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and aging.

2. How do antioxidants work?

Antioxidants work by neutralizing free radicals, preventing them from causing damage to cells. They do this by donating an electron to the free radical, stabilizing it and stopping the chain reaction of damage.

3. What are some common sources of antioxidants?

Fruits, vegetables, nuts, and whole grains are all excellent sources of antioxidants. Some examples of specific antioxidants include vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, and selenium.

4. What are reducing agents?

Reducing agents are substances that have the ability to donate electrons to other molecules, making them more stable. In the context of antioxidants, they play a crucial role in neutralizing free radicals and preventing cellular damage.

5. What are some examples of reducing agents?

Some common examples of reducing agents include vitamin C, glutathione, and coenzyme Q10. These molecules are found naturally in the body and can also be obtained from food sources or supplements.