Is Kinetic Energy Really Constant in Constant Velocity Motion?

In summary, when the kinetic energy of a moving body remains constant, the net work done on the object is equal to zero. However, when the body is moving upwards at a constant velocity, there is still an increase in its gravitational potential energy. This is possible because the net work done on the object, including the work done by gravity, is still zero. This is because the positive work being done on the object is converted and stored as gravitational potential energy by the negative work done by gravity.
Muhammad asad
I am really confused here. I have studied that if the kinetic energy of a moving body is not changing then the net work being done on the object is equal to zero. But when we are talking about a body moving upwards at constant velocity there is no change in its kinetic energy but there is still an increase in the g.p.e of the object. How is this possible. What I think is that the energy transferred by the positive work we are doing on the object is converted and stored as g.p.e by the negative work being done by gravity on the object. Please! someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Muhammad asad said:
I have studied that if the kinetic energy of a moving body is not changing then the net work being done on the object is equal to zero.
That's right. The net work must include all work done on the body, including the work done by gravity.

Muhammad asad said:
But when we are talking about a body moving upwards at constant velocity there is no change in its kinetic energy but there is still an increase in the g.p.e of the object. How is this possible.
Note that the net work is still zero.

Muhammad asad said:
What I think is that the energy transferred by the positive work we are doing on the object is converted and stored as g.p.e by the negative work being done by gravity on the object.
Nothing wrong with that.

Likes Muhammad asad
Thanks alot. Really appreciate your help

Related to Is Kinetic Energy Really Constant in Constant Velocity Motion?

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it related to constant velocity motion?

Kinetic energy refers to the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In constant velocity motion, the object is moving at a constant speed and in a straight line. Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass and square of the velocity of the object, so as long as the velocity remains constant, the kinetic energy will also remain constant.

2. Is kinetic energy really constant in constant velocity motion?

Yes, as long as there are no external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance, the kinetic energy will remain constant in constant velocity motion. This is because the object's speed and direction remain unchanged, so there is no change in its kinetic energy.

3. Can the kinetic energy of an object change in constant velocity motion?

If there are no external forces acting on the object, then the kinetic energy will remain constant. However, if a force is applied to the object in the same direction as its motion, the speed and therefore the kinetic energy will increase. On the other hand, if a force is applied in the opposite direction of motion, the speed and kinetic energy will decrease.

4. How is constant velocity motion different from constant acceleration motion in terms of kinetic energy?

In constant acceleration motion, the object is changing its velocity, so its kinetic energy will also change. As the velocity increases, the kinetic energy will increase, and as the velocity decreases, the kinetic energy will decrease. However, in constant velocity motion, there is no change in velocity, so the kinetic energy remains constant.

5. Is kinetic energy the only type of energy present in constant velocity motion?

No, in addition to kinetic energy, there may also be potential energy present in constant velocity motion. For example, if an object is moving in a circular path at a constant speed, it has kinetic energy due to its motion, but it also has potential energy due to its position in the gravitational field. However, the total energy, which is the sum of kinetic and potential energy, will remain constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the object.