Exploring the Relationship Between Primes and Their Products in Number Theory

In summary: The smallest prime is 2, since 2 is the smallest number that has exactly two divisors.- Warren##SolutionIn summary, the conversation discusses prime numbers and their products, specifically the series of products of primes and their limits. The conversation also mentions the primorial function and its use in number theory. The conversation includes a proof for the limit of the series involving the largest prime less than n. The conversation also mentions Mersenne-numbers and the Lucas-Lehmer Test for determining if they are prime. The conversation concludes with a discussion about a potential equation involving primes and their products.
Originally posted by suyver

You mean that the answer of my question is: No?

How can you get all primes through this?

Or did you mean that his function generates all primes?

I'm comfused...

Good night!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In that other thread that I linked to, there is (about halfway through) a short discussion about this monster. That is a set that yields every prime number, as well as that it only yields prime numbers. However, there is one catch: you have to restrict its domain to parameters that give positive values (i.e. ignore all results <0).

I suggest that you spend some time reading that other thread. There is also a rough proof of the fact that it is fundamentally impossible to construct a nonconstant polynomial in a single variable over the integers that will generate all primes...

The first n factors...

Originally posted by suyver

Does the x number of factors to form the n first numbers follow a maclaurin serie?

1 | 1f
2 | 2f
3 | 3f
4 | 5f
5 | 6f
6 | 8f etc.

You must agree in that it's a good question anyway...

Last edited:
p*p

"A multiple between two primes is always right in the middle of two primes."

Has that been proven, that the product of two primes is always the average of two primes?

Are all numbers > 2 the average of two primes?