Exploring the Properties of C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the sets C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap) and U=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cup) both have an identity element, but they are not groups because they do not have inverses. This can be shown by considering the number of elements in A\cup B compared to the number of elements in A, and realizing that for there to be an inverse, A and B must be the same set. However, in this case, A\cup B is always different than A, making it impossible for B to be an inverse of A.
roam

Homework Statement

Let [tex]n \geq 1[/tex] be a positive integer and let [tex]M_n = \{ 1,...,n \}[/tex] be a set with n elements. Denote by [tex]\mathcal{P} (M_n)[/tex] the set of all subsets of Mn. For example [tex]\mathcal{P} (M_2) = \{ \{ \emptyset \}, \{ 1 \}, \{ 2 \}, \{ 1,2 \} \}[/tex].

Show that [tex]C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap)[/tex] and [tex]U=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cup)[/tex] each has an identity. Decide whether C and U are groups.

The Attempt at a Solution

For [tex]C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap)[/tex], let [tex]a,b,c \in \mathcal{P} (M_n)[/tex]

• Associativity: [tex](a \cap b) \cap c = a \cup (b \cap c)[/tex] [tex]\checkmark[/tex]
  • Identity: is the empty set => [tex]a \cap \emptyset = a[/tex] [tex]\checkmark[/tex]
  • Inverse: I can't see what's the inverse of this group! :frown: for an element a we need an inverse b such that [tex]a \cap b = \emptyset[/tex]. I think this is only true when a & b are completely distinct but I'm not sure...

Similarly [tex]U=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cup)[/tex] satisfies the associativity and I think its identity is also [tex]\emptyset[/tex]. But what is the inverse??

I need help finding the inverses, and please let me know if the rest of my working is correct.
Any help is really appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't understand it for all n, try special cases. Maybe continue with your n=2 example. That looks like a very small finite set -- you should be able to answer any particular question at all with a few seconds effort.

First try and think clearly. I don't think a intersect {} is a, if that's what you mean to say. But you are right that there is a problem with inverses. They aren't groups.

Dick said:
First try and think clearly. I don't think a intersect {} is a, if that's what you mean to say. But you are right that there is a problem with inverses. They aren't groups.

Oops, I made a mistake! So, for [tex]C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap)[/tex]

The identity for each element is itself, right? Because [tex]a \cap a = a[/tex]. Therefore the inverse for every element is also itself. So it's a group?

And for [tex]U=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cup)[/tex]

[tex]A \cup \emptyset = A[/tex]. Therefore [tex]\emptyset[/tex] is the identity.

But what is the inverse? I need "b" such that [tex]a \cup b = \emptyset[/tex]. Even if there is no inverse, I guess I have to give some kind of explanation :confused:

roam said:
Oops, I made a mistake! So, for [tex]C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap)[/tex]

The identity for each element is itself, right? Because [tex]a \cap a = a[/tex]. Therefore the inverse for every element is also itself. So it's a group?
No, there is a unique identity for a group, not a different "identity" for each member. Is there a single set, x, such that [itex]a\cap x= a[/itex] for every a? (Look at [itex]M_n[/itex] itself.)

And for [tex]U=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cup)[/tex]

[tex]A \cup \emptyset = A[/tex]. Therefore [tex]\emptyset[/tex] is the identity.

But what is the inverse? I need "b" such that [tex]a \cup b = \emptyset[/tex]. Even if there is no inverse, I guess I have to give some kind of explanation :confused:
If set A had and inverse, B, say, then you would have to have [itex]A\cup B= \emptyset[/itex]. How do the number of members of A and [itex]A\cup B[/itex] compare?

HallsofIvy said:
No, there is a unique identity for a group, not a different "identity" for each member. Is there a single set, x, such that [itex]a\cap x= a[/itex] for every a? (Look at [itex]M_n[/itex] itself.)

Yes, there is a single set, whenever n=1 then Mn has only one element. So the inverse of 1 is 1, it's also the identity. But this only true when n=1! So, [tex]C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap)[/tex] not a group?

If set A had and inverse, B, say, then you would have to have [itex]A\cup B= \emptyset[/itex]. How do the number of members of A and [itex]A\cup B[/itex] compare?

The only member of [tex]A\cup B[/tex] is the empty set whereas the number of members of A is greater than or equal to 1. But what does that prove? :confused:

HallsofIvy said:

roam said:
Yes, there is a single set, whenever n=1 then Mn has only one element. So the inverse of 1 is 1, it's also the identity. But this only true when n=1! So, [tex]C=(\mathcal{P} (M_n) , \cap)[/tex] not a group?
? For any subset, A, of Mn, [itex]A\cap M_n= A[/itex].

If set A had an inverse, B, say, then you would have to have [itex]A\cup B= \emptyset[/itex]. How do the number of members of A and [itex]A\cup B[/itex] compare?

The only member of [tex]A\cup B[/tex] is the empty set whereas the number of members of A is greater than or equal to 1. But what does that prove? :confused:
It proves that the can't be equal! And since they must be the same set in order that B be "inverse" to A, there cannot be an inverse.

Related to Exploring the Properties of C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$

1. What is the purpose of exploring the properties of C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$?

The purpose of exploring the properties of C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$ is to gain a better understanding of the structure and behavior of these two important matrices. This knowledge can then be applied in various fields such as linear algebra, graph theory, and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the difference between C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$?

C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$ are both matrices, but they have different properties and purposes. C is the matrix of all constant functions, while U is the matrix of all unitary operators. C is a diagonal matrix with all entries equal to 1, while U is a square matrix with orthogonal columns and rows.

3. How do C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$ relate to each other?

C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$ are related through the concept of Fourier transform. The values of C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$ are the coefficients of the Fourier transform of a function. C represents the constant term, while U represents the frequency components of the function.

4. Can C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$ be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$ can be applied in various real-world situations. For example, C can be used in signal processing to remove the constant term from a signal. U can be applied in quantum mechanics to represent unitary transformations on a quantum system.

5. What are some interesting properties of C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$?

One interesting property of C and U in $\mathcal{P} (M_n)$ is that they are both idempotent matrices, meaning that when multiplied by themselves, they result in the same matrix. This is because C and U are their own Fourier transforms. Another interesting property is that C and U are both involutory matrices, meaning that when squared, they result in the identity matrix.